Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, and Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. 

Happy Friday everyone!  This week I'm spotlighting one of my current Trope-ical Readathon reads, Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson.  I've heard a lot of great things about this one and I'm hoping it ends up being as good as it looks!

Beginning: 

The stains of rust seemed to map blood seas on the black, pocked surface of Mock's Vane.

56:

With the coming of the Moranth
the tide turned.
And like ships in a harbor
the Free Cities were swept under 
Imperial seas.
The war entered its twelfth year,
the Year of the Shattered Moon
and its sudden spawn 
of deathly rain and 
black-winged promise.
Two cities remained to contest
the Malazan onslaught.
One stalwart, proud banners
beneath Dark's powerful wing.
The other divided-
-without an army,
bereft of allies-
The strong city fell first.

Call To Shadow
Felisin (B. 1146)


What are you reading this week?  Have you read this book?  Are you taking part in this readathon?   As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I love the title of this one too- so evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover, very dark and moody

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/book-beginnings-on-friday-before.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is and it seems to fit the tone well.

      Delete
  3. Love the cover and excerpts. I haven't read any fantasy for a while and will have to look for this one. This week I am spotlighting a book from deep in my TBR pile - More Than Fiends by Maureen Child. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try. Thanks for sharing, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a nice creepy read! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I can read in prose. I hope you really enjoy it though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really only that segment that was in prose. :)

      Have a good one, Freda!

      Delete
  6. Every week I am amazed to see that you are reading yet another book in a series. I do not know how you do it. Do you finish one series before moving on? Or how do you keep them all straight? My Friday quotes from the Tattooist of Auschwitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't finish a series before moving on. :D

      Delete
  7. I haven't read Gardens of the Moon, but I've heard of it. The quote for the 56 kind of reminds me of the more poetic parts of The Lord of the Rings. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always heard good things too, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cover! Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice snippets! It sounds like such an atmospheric book. I hope you enjoy!

    My Book Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing this series for a while now, but was frankly intimidated by it. I also heard they're making a show on this one, so ended up waiting for that instead. Till then, hope to tag along with your reviews to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those snippets. Sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early