Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Fantasy Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 

Hello everyone!  Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for my second round of the Trope-ical Readathon which was hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13 and ran for entire month of August.  You can check out my original tbr here.

Of the 16 total books I had on my original tbr (2 team challenges, 1 team book, and 13 common challenges), I managed to get to 13 of them.  I earned 200 points for the team challenges, 550 points for the common challenges, and 4,925 points per page for a grand total of 5,675 points!  I'd say I did a pretty good job this time around!  Without further ado, let's get to mini reviews:

Team Challenges:

1. There Be Dragons!! (Read a book featuring dragons)

❋ ❋ ❋ 

A Feast For Crows was previously my least favorite installment of A Song of Ice and Fire, but now that honor goes to A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5) by George R.R. Martin. It's way too long and a lot of the characters I was really looking forward to seeing again were somewhat disappointing this time around. Tyrion and Arya have been a couple of my favorite characters consistently, but not so much this time around. Underwhelming compared to how much I had hyped myself up for this one. I hope we'll actually get The Winds of Winter sometime soon. I need to know if Brienne will be okay.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 1,051 points

2. Read a book featuring the "Prophecy" trope

❋ ❋  
The Hollow Hills (The Arthurian Saga #2) by Mary Stewart is a great historical fantasy novel that does a fantastic job of retelling classic Arthurian legend.  I can't believe I had putting this series off for so long.  This installment really reminded me of the Lord of the Rings, more so than the first book in this series. And, that's not a bad thing at all.  I can't wait to read book three, The Last Enchantment.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 475 points



Common Challenges:

2. Time Loop or A Reread

The Loop by Shandy Lawson is a YA time travel/ time loop novel that sounded like it had potential.  Now that I've read it though I'm honestly surprised that I sat there and read the whole thing.  It was so irritating from the style, the voice, and the characters.  The characters are incredibly flat and they don't sound believable at all.  At least, I can say it was short.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 208 points


3. Found Family or A Buddy/ Group Read

❋ ❋   
The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus #2) by Rick Riordan is a fantastic continuation of what has been a great series, and larger world, so far.  It was great to see Percy again, but I particularly enjoyed getting to know Hazel and Frank. Nico as well.  I love the sense of adventure and how Riordan works and reworks classic mythology into his stories, but the characters are what make this all come together.  There's so much heart to his novels, and I can't wait to finally get on to book three in this series, The Mark of Athena.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 513 points


4. Coming-of-Age or A Book Whose Protagonist Is The Same Age As You

❋ 
Hot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan is a YA contemporary romance that sounded like it had the potential to be good.  Honestly, I liked the story more at the beginning than where it ended up.  The more I read, the more I realized that I wasn't all that invested in the cast of characters.  Magic Castle Playland, the setting of the book, though, is the actual MVP.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 309


5. Food Themed or A Meaty Book (500+ Pages)

DNF'd @ p. 52

The Many Lives of John Stone by Linda Buckley Archer sounded like it was going to have potential, but I could not get into the writing style and nothing really hooked me enough to keep going for another 477 pages.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 52 pages


6. Blast From The Past or A Book Published Before 2000

DNF'd @ p. 100

Alternities by Michael P. Kube-McDowell sounded so cool.  It has so much potential and the central idea behind it is fascinating.  I was really looking forward to this one, but it just wasn't working for me.  I didn't care about any of the characters.  Plus, I guess I was getting a little too confused to keep track of everyone to top it off.  The novel is going for Philip K. Dick, but it just didn't manage it for me.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 100 points


7. Mixed Media or An Audiobook Or An Ebook

❋ ❋ 
Why did The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #5) by Ransom Riggs have to end on such a cliff hanger?  I enjoy this series, but it just isn't quite what it once was. The first three were outstanding, but less so since then.  I really do hope that the next one really is the last this time.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 325 points


8. (Post) Apocalyptic or A Book With Fire On The Cover

❋ ❋  
The Seal of Solomon (Alfred Kropp #2) by Rick Yancey is such a fun YA adventure fantasy sequel.  It doesn't suffer from any kind of trilogy slump whatsoever.  Rick Yancey is such a talented writer and this YA series of his is incredibly underrated. It's a perfect combination of the action and thrills of James Bond and the adventure and magic of King Arthur. I need to read the finale, The Thirteenth Skull, asap.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 352 points


9. Historical Figure or A Book Published in 2021

❋ ❋   
Harold Lloyd: The Man on the Clock by Tom Dardis is a fascinating biography about one of my favorite silent movie actors.  Harold Lloyd isn't quite as well remembered as Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, but I of the three of them he's my personal favorite.  I love his glass character's can do, go get 'em attitude.  This book was really well researched and the author does a great job as presenting the complex man behind the character and all of his hard work in the movie industry.  If you're at all interested in film history, this is well worth picking up.  By the way, I decided to rewatch The Freshman and Speedy after completing this and they are both so much fun.  Did you know that Speedy features the first time when the middle finger was given in a movie?  Seriously, the moment when Harold flips himself off in the funhouse mirror at Coney Island after he realizes that he's ruined his jacket by accidently leaning against a freshly painted fence is a whole mood!


My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 357 points


10. All Happens In One Day or Read A Book In 24 Hours

❋ ❋  
Dead of Winter (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #45) by James Goss takes a bit to really hit its stride, but once it does it gets pretty great. Rory is one of my favorite Doctor Who characters and it was fun to see him get perspective chapters and where his nursing skills get put to use. 


My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 255 points


11. Multiple POV or Multiple POC Characters

❋ ❋  
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson is one of those series that I think is going to become great as it goes a long.  This first installment is a solid introduction to the world of Malazan.  It's sprawling and the world-building is fantastic.  Sure at times I was a bit lost, but for the most part I enjoyed this grimdark ride.  The weakest point for me were the characters - I just wasn't as invested in them as much as I wished I was.  I will have to continue this series in the future because like I said, I think it could really get good.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 496 points


12. The New Kid In Town or A Genre You Don't Usually Read 

❋ ❋  
A Good American Family: The Red Scare and My Father by David Maraniss is a book that one of my friends gave me.  I wasn't familiar with it before hand, but she had good things to say about it.  I'm glad I decided to give it a chance because it's a fascinating read.  And chilling, very chilling.  I think this is my first biography or memoir featuring the Red Scare or HUAC.  If you're interested in the McCarthy era, this is definitely worth reading.  It must have been difficult for young David to fully grasp what was happening to his father at the time.  

My review is also on Goodreads.

Points Per Page = 432 points



Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review