Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marcheta.  This is my fourth read of five for YALSA's Backlist Bingo Reading Challenge - it fulfills the Top Ten BFYA from the last five years option.  This book was released in 2011 - and I can definitely say that I should have read this earlier!  In a way, it reminds me of The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen.

Beginning:

A long time ago, in the spring before the five days of the unspeakable, Finnikin of the Rock dreamed that he was to sacrifice a pound of flesh to save the royal house of Lumatere.

56:

The voice came from behind him.  A strong voice, yet hoarse as if it were new to speech.  She spoke in the Lumateran language, and it sent a shiver through Finnikin's body.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ Worst scene in a book.


I recently read November 9 by Colleen Hoover when I saw it arrive at the library.  I had never read a Colleen Hoover book before, but I am interested in something with a different format - my review will be coming soon.

Best - Hoover is great at writing characters and fleshing them out.  I'll also admit that the Crave app inspired illustrations were pretty interesting.

Worst - I did have quite a few issues with this novel, but one of the things that really got me was on page 95 where Fallon says that one of her least favorite things about romance novels is instalove because in writing it makes her roll her eyes and it's too cheesy and unrealistic. However, she and Ben have exactly that kind of relationship, and Ben points that out.  Honestly, instalove is one of my least favorite romance elements.

Comments

  1. Nice book recommendations - thanks!

    My Friday read is After You by Jojo Moyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've heard of Finnikin of the Rock before, but I haven't really looked into it. It does seems like an interesting story. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you - instalove is really annoying. I've been wanting to read November 9 for a little while and it sucks that it has instalove in it but I'm hoping the awesome characters will balance it out for me. Thanks for participating in 50/50 Friday, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with Marchetta, but have read some Hoover and enjoyed her very much.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about Finnikin of the Rock, love the first line!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choice! I haven't read this one yet, but have been keeping it on my "maybe read someday" list--I haven't decided for sure whether I want to actually pick it up yet, though I've heard great things about the series!

    Thank you so much for sharing! Here's my Friday 56, if you're interested! No worries if you're not, though! Either way, happy book-ing to you in the future, and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heard a lot about the Finnikin on the Rock book, hope you enjoy it.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finnikin of the Rock has a great cover.

    I loved November 9!

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting mine as well! Glad you liked November 9!

      Delete
  11. All of the books you highlighted look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great 56 and a very nice cover. I like the looks of the 50/50 meme. I might give that a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finnikin of the Rock is a real good one. I actually need to find the time to reread it, so I can finally get to the other two books in the series, which I hear are pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished it, and I can't wait to continue the series!

      Delete
  14. Insta-love is one of the worst things ever! I completely agree!

    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of Finnikin of the Rock and I've seen it at a lot of bookstores, but I never thought to pick it up. The excerpt you shared seems intriguing and I might look into it at some point! Thanks for sharing, I love these posts because they give me an idea of what books to consider next!

    Wren @ http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early