Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Lock In by John Scalzi + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting my current read for Sci-Fi Month (hosted by Rinn Reads and Over the Effing Rainbow), Lock In (Lock In #1) by John Scalzi.  I've heard so many fantastic things about my fellow Ohioan's work and I'm glad that I'm finally getting around to my first by the author.  I'm not that far into it yet, but I'm already really enjoying his style.

Beginning: 

Haden's syndrome is the name given to a set of continuing physical and mental conditions and disabilities initially brought on by "the Great Flu," the influenza-like global pandemic that resulted in the deaths of more than 400 million people worldwid, either through the initial flu-like symptoms, the secondary stage of meningitis-like cerebral and spinal inflammation, or through complications arising due to the third stage of the disease, which typically caused complete paralysis of the voluntary nervous system, resulting in "lock in" for its victims.

56:

"Can you get a clearer image of Bell's hands?"

"Not really," Diaz said.  "I can blow it up, but it's a low-res feed.  It's got inherent limitations."

"Blow it up," Vann said.  Bell jerked and grew large, his hands racing toward us like a giant trying to play patty-cake.

"Shane," Vann said.  "Tell me what you see."

I looked at the hands for a couple of moments, not seeing whatever it was I was supposed to be seeing.  Then it occurred to me that not seeing a thing was what Vann was going for.

"No blood," I said.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ worst world an author has created.

Best:



The Wizarding World from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - How could I choose something else!

Worst:


First Life (Everlife #1) by Gena Showalter - I really tried to like this, but I just couldn't get into it.  To much telling, and not nearly enough showing.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, and I don't usually read Sci-Fi, but the lead-up in the excerpt kept me fascinated.

    Here's mine: “IN A DARK, DARK WOOD”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I have read the Potter series and think that's a good choice, but I am surprised at your choice of a Showalter novel. I have only read a couple of her books but I loved them and that cover is fabulous. Sometimes you can't tell a book by its cover :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've heard a lot of good things about her books, but this was my first of her books - I still want to try the Zombieland series, though. The cover for Firstlife is pretty great though, I have to admit.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy some Sci-Fi. This intrigues me. Great cover art too!

    My Friday 56 from The Nature Of Balance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy sci-fi that centers around events that could happen (like The Andromeda Strain). This sounds like one of those stories. I'll recommend it to my husband too.
    My Friday post features KEY LARGO BLUES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one does seem quite believable. I hope you guys will enjoy it. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I've seen Lock-In around before and contemplated picking it up, but ultimately decided not to for the moment--maybe in the future, though! Here's hoping you enjoy(ed) the read; thank you so much for sharing!

    Happy book-ing to you in the near future! Here's my Friday 56 if you're interested in checking it out; no pressure or worries if you're not, though! Stay rockin', and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Scalzi's Old Man's War, and really enjoyed it. Lock In is one of the books I still want to read. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pretty much all of his on my tbr actually. :)

      Delete
  7. It's been such a very long time since I've read sci-fi. I hope you're enjoying it. I hope your readers will check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSOTG

    ReplyDelete
  8. That excerpt sounds so intriguing! It seems quite ominous. As for your picks for 50/50 Friday, I can't say that I agree or disagree with your choices because I haven't read either book! They're both on my to-read list, though.

    Wren @ http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely thinking the sci-fi fans that I know will love this one. I may check it out myself. Thanks for sharing!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty intriguing 56!! Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your Book Beginning book sounds really interesting. Not sure I want to read about a how world dying but it could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, the wizarding world is one of the best worlds! It's so detailed and every little thing is accounted for and explained!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah Harry Potter is a great world and she flushed it out perfectly! Amazing.

    Carrie @The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early