Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Thanksgiving Dishes

Happy Tuesday and welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!  This weeks topic is a Thanksgiving freebie, so I'm electing to share with you some of my favorite holiday dishes.


Meat:

Turkey - Obviously, you can't go wrong with a nice juicy slice topped with a little gravy.

Roadkill Deer in Buffalo Juice - I swear that this isn't nearly as bad as it sounds!  One year my uncle slow roasted venison in his gigantic homemade hog-roaster.  I'm not all that much of a venison person, but it actually turned out to be really delicious and surprised everybody.  My dad was actually the one who christened it... still have no idea where the "buffalo" came from since it wasn't spicy at all.

Sides:

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy - A staple.  When it comes to the gravy, though, I'm thinking of my grandma's.  I've never seen any gravy exactly like hers and I doubt you have either.  When it's piping hot, it behaves like you'd expect it to, but as it begins to cool it begins to take on major Jell-o qualities, and was lovingly nicknamed "90 Weight" by dad due to its cooling viscosity.  Although when it's reheated, it does retake the appropriate consistency.

Green Bean Casserole - Any excuse to get my hands on this really.

Stuffing - The homemade kind in particular.

Sweet Potato Casserole - Light on the marshmallows for me.

Glazed Carrots - Not too crunchy and not too soft.

Creamed Corn - I like this, but I will only eat it at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

Desert:

Pumpkin Pie - I will gladly have pumpkin pie any time of the year, but I have to have it at Thanksgiving.

Custard Pie - My aunt makes absolutely wonderful custard pie.  I hope she'll bring some to this year's Thanksgiving dinner.


What are your favorite Thanksgiving dinner dishes?  What are you thankful for this year?

Comments

  1. I love most of the classic thanksgiving spread. I'm most looking forward to turkey and cranberry sauce but creamed corn, mashed potatoes, and all of the pumpkin things are on my list as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I can do all of it, but cranberry sauce - for some reason I've never acquired the taste for it.

      Delete
  2. Yum! I am getting hungry just reading this post! Mashed potatoes and stuffing are must haves for sides! And yes to the turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever tasted pumpkin! this list is making me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Thanksgiving was last month but now you've got me craving pumpkin pie all over again! Great way to use the Top 10 Freebie!

    Here's my TTT post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I could do with pumpkin pie any day of the year... :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I love your venison story! It is so interesting how things that happen during the holidays stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There are always some interesting stories. :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh food lol. Nice topic. :) I do like venison once in a while, and mashed potatoes and gravy-mmm, keep it coming. Green bean casserole and stuffing- especially stuffing. Again with gravy on it. Man I can't wait for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm looking forward to a delicious feast. Have a great holiday!

      Delete
  7. Probably my favorite list so far because you're talking about food. And I love food. Thanks to you now I'm even hungrier. It's okay. Mash potatoes and pumpkin pie sound really good right now. Piece of advice: Eat all the food you can! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mashed Potatoes are probably my favorite part...That might sounds sad, but I LOVE EVERYTHING POTATOES!!! Great Top Ten :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you when it comes to potatoes! :D

      Thanks for sharing, Giovanna!

      Delete
  9. K, I need to know (being English and quite uncultured) what do Marshmellows have to do with Sweet Potato Casserole? This is very confusing but very intriguing!

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, usually sweet potato casserole has some brown sugar plus toasted marshmallows on top. A little bit sweet for me.

      Thanks, Rachel!

      Delete
  10. Roadkill Deer and Buffalo sauce. I never thought I would see those words together!

    I'm more of a sweet potato girl myself! God, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like an excellent meal to me. I'm all for the turkey and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, custard pie sounds divine. I'm going to need a slice of your aunt's pie. I cannot wait for all the foody goodness of Thanksgiving, I hope you and your family have a wonderful day together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had Thanksgiving here because this sounds like an awesome menu. I love creamed corn, custard pie and pumpkin pie. I'll be drooling in the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for a post! The roadkill deer dish threw me for a loop, but then, okay, it's just a name. Pies are my number one favorite Thanksgiving dish. I need to make one for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We always have cornbread dressing which is a little like stuffing. It's my favorite! I also love sweet potato casserole and coconut pie! Now I'm hungry. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that before - it's so good! Mmmm, coconut pie! :)

      Delete
  16. I'm definitely all about the pie. And dinner rolls - lol - hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list! I LOOOVE pumpkin pie. It's my favorite. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never had Pumpkin Pie! And I don't even know why, I am sure I'd love it! Custard Pie, oh yes! Anything that has custard is a win!

    I work in a small cafe, that is selling all those awesome Christmas cakes/cookies right now and I just need to try EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to try some this year for sure, Mila!

      I think I would gain a lot of wait if I worked in a place like that! :D

      Delete
  19. I want that custard pie - can I call in please!!!
    Hope you've had a fantastic Thanksgiving with all the trimmings.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sides are my favorite part!!! All the ones you listed are ones have - super yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early