Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, which includes some illustrations by Mari Lu.  I absolutely adored Illuminae and I'm so excited to finally be reading the sequel!  I'm not all that far along into it yet, but it's definitely living up to my expectations!  And, since it is Sci-Fi Month, I think I picked the perfect time to start in on the novel.

Beginning:



56:





This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ Worst Villain.

Best Villain:



Mayor Prentiss from the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness - Makes a perfect example of Affably Evil

Worst: 



Warner from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - I just didn't get it - he seemed so flat to me.



Comments

  1. I actually checked Gemina out from my local library since there were no holds on it. I haven't read it yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemina sounds really exciting. I have to confess that I haven't read Illuminae yet so I need to do that one first. Our library copy was stolen so I am going to try to get it electronically. I haven't read the Patrick Ness series either, but plan to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try both for sure! Too bad about the library copy...

      Delete
  3. Part of me wants to try that series even though I am not a huge sci-fi fan but I am also not a fan of the way it's written so I am not sure if I would like it.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really a Sci-Fi fan, but I'm curious about this series. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ECHOES OF FAMILY”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing this series on blogs, and Im not sure if I would like it. It sounds like a very interesting story and the way it's told is different, but as I mentioned of not being sure about it, I don't want to buy it and my library only has it in eBook form and I'm not sure how the appearance would transfer to a screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The format is the first thing that drew me to it and it is completely amazing! :) I haven't seen what the ebook looks like, but it's better than nothing. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a neat read! One I'd like to check out. I guess I should start with the first book though. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a cool format for a book! I haven't had a chance to start the Illuminae Files yet but I'm hoping to soon! Mayor Prentiss is such a good villain! He's the perfect mix of creepy, scary, and intelligent.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY great 56 choice this week--I really need to make time to sit down and actually read the copy of Gemina I have. So many books to read! XD

    Here's my Friday 56 if you're interested in checking it out, though no pressure or worries if you're not! Happy book-ing to you, and happy Friday! Stay rockin'! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't picked up Gemina yet but I am looking forward to getting it, and I especially like the sound of the space station setting! Glad it's good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Illuminae yet? Thanks for stopping by, Greg!

      Delete
  10. Illuminae is on my TBR list! I hope you enjoy Gemina!

    Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-569548264

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I loved Warner!😂 But I do get how he wouldn't be interesting to everyone....did you read on in the series? He gets more complex! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I only read book one - I've heard that he changes a lot, but I don't know if I really care to keep going with it....

      Delete
  12. The cover of Gemina caught my eye. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, I'm so glad you're still liking this series Lauren! I'm about to start reading Illuminae, so hopefully I'll love it too. :)

    YES, Mayor Prentiss is such a good villain. Uber creepy, in that "suburban dad gone wrong" kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Illuminae is on my list but I honestly do not think my life will be long enough to read everything on it. I am glad you are giving me the shove I need to go to the shelf and check it out. I've been very out of it lately and am finally ready to face reality again. Thanks for being patient with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I can understand. There are so many books on my tbr that I know I'll probably never get to all of them, but this is one I would definitely say is a must read!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early