Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan, which I'm reading for the 2019 Hub Reading Challenge 2019.  If you like you can see my tbr for that challenge here.  I've been looking forward to this YA Magical Realism Contemporary novel for a while and I'm glad I've finally had the chance to pick it up.

Beginning:

My mother is a bird.  This isn't like some William Faulkner stream-of-consciousness metaphorical crap.  My mother.  Is literally.  A bird.

56:

For a moment there is only the tick of the tiny alarm clock on the shelf.  And then Waipo gasps with understanding.  She pats Waigong's arm, and he opens his eyes, gazes down at the pages.

50/50 Friday: Novel Worth/ Not Worth The Hype - This week was another freebie so I'm updating the topic from March 23, 2017.


Worth - The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan - I don't know why I ever doubted Mr. Riordan's skills.


Not Worth - The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid - Not bad at all, but I felt like I'd seen it all before.


What are you reading this weekend?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I liked, not loved The Astonishing Color of After. It is pretty complex and has that bit of magical realm which makes it a little confusing. I never ended up reviewing it but I will be interested to read yours. My Friday Quotes and Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE TOCOA looks like an amazing read. I love the sound of it. Magical realm? Even better!

    Here is my Friday post, thank you! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a confession... I've never read a Rick Riordan book. My sister loves his writing and keeps trying to get me to give him a try. I just haven't yet. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a book I have on my wishlist. :-) Happy Memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great beginning. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot of good things about The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan. I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No 56 for me this week, but just wanted to stop by and say I've heard so many good things about The Astonishing Color of After. I hope you end up enjoying it. It's one I am determined to get to this year. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book around and it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows