Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Call Down the Hawk (The Dreamer Trilogy #1) by Maggie Stiefvater + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


Happy Friday everyone!  This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads Call Down the Hawk (The Dreamer Trilogy #1) by Maggie Stiefvater which is one of my Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge books (it will fulfill the task to read a book in a rural setting).  I'm so happy to have just started in on a new Stiefvater book.  Ronan quickly became my favorite from The Raven Cycle and I can't wait to see where his story goes.

Beginning: 

This is going to be a story about the Lynch brothers.  There were three of them, and if you didn't like one, try another, because the Lynch brother others found too sour or too sweet might just be to your taste.  The Lynch brothers, the orphans Lynch.  All of them had been made by dreams, one way or another.  They were handsome devils, down to the last one.

56:

"I don't know if you're real or a figment of my imagination," Ronan said.  "But I'm trying to work here."

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Read of 2019


Best - Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World #2) by Rebecca Roanhorse - I read a lot of great books in 2019, but I think this sequel takes the cake.  This series has been brilliant and it deserves more than five stars.  I can't wait to see what happens next. 


Worst - A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell - I'm not sure about the absolute worst, but this was easily one of the most disappointing.  I absolutely loved the neo-noir crime comedy movie adaptation with an awesome soundtrack, then I tried to read the book and ended up DNF'ing it at only 20% in.


What are you reading this weekend?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. You've reminded me that I still have to read Storm of Locusts. I can't believe I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! I hope you love it when you get to it, Tammy!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I wanted to read this one! The beginning is interesting (if not a bit repetitive, ugh). I have a feeling I'd probably end up falling in love with one of those characters. Probably for the wrong reasons, but hey. xD

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good so far. :)

      Thanks very much for sharing, Sammie.

      Delete
  3. I like the snippets. Thanks for sharing...and as for your best and worst books, I have A Simple Favor, still unread, which I purchased after loving the movie. I am sure I will not rush to read this one now!

    Here's mine: “THE VANISHING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll like it more than me if anything.

      Delete
  4. Wow, the voice in the beginning just drew me right in. I want to read it right now. Enjoy!

    And I'm going to look into that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiefvater is so talented. I hope you like the movie.

      Delete
  5. The 56 sounds like me when I was taking Ambien. LOL I'd love for you and your reading to check out mine. . . . https://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2020/01/its-cozy-food-friday-that-means-its_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days I really am going to read something by Stiefvater. I love the sound of her books.

    I didn't do the 50/50 this week. I didn't really have a worst book. I guess that's a good thing though. 😊

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is easily one of my favorites and I hope you like her work when you get to her.

      Delete
  7. I had a Goldilocks and the three bears moment while reading that beginning... lol.... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year, Lauren! Thanks for joining in on another year of Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous cover, expecially your dnf
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always hate when I book I thought I'd love disappoints me! That's the worst!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just added CALL DOWN THE HAWK to my TBR. I am such a huge fan of the Raven Cycle series, I don't want to let the characters go. My book: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it and i know exactly what you mean.

      Delete
  12. I should try to read more by Steifvater. Hope you are enjoying your current book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorites.

      Thanks for coming over, Nicki!

      Delete
  13. I totally agree with you about The Sixth World books. They deserve more than five stars. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read this book. I was slightly underwhelmed by the ending of the Raven Cycle... but Ronan was my favorite character.
    My Friday Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didin't