Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Movies I've Watched For The Criterion Challenge

     

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday which is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is a freebie, so I've decided to feature my Favorite Movies I've Watched For The Criterion Challenge.  Over on Letterboxd, I've taken part in The Criterion Challenge in 2022 and 2023.  I love trying to complete this challenge - it pushes me to watch movies I may not necessarily choose to watch on my own.  Each year, the challenge prompts you try to watch 52 movies that are part of the Criterion Collection - in 2022 I managed to find and watch 45 and in 2023 51 (so far).  Here are my 5 favorites from each year that I highly recommend - each title is linked to my Letterboxd review:

2022

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - Honestly, this is right up there with 12 Angry Men for me.

Beauty and the Beast (1946) - Just about a close to perfect as it can get for a live action adaptation of this story.  

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - This is up there with Alfred Hitchcock's best and the special effects are really cool considering this is 83 years old now.

M (1931) - This is Peter Lorre's first big movie and it's a still a must watch crime thriller.

Parasite (2019) - If you haven't seen this yet, what are you waiting for?

2023

Infernal Affairs (2002) - This is the movie that inspired The Departed - you can't skip it

Night and the City (1950) - I've seen a lot of classic film noir movies, but this one quickly went up to the top of the list.

The Parallax View (1974) - If you're a fan of The Manchurian Candidate and The Conversation, you have to watch this too.

The Sword of Doom (1966) - When I say that the main character's stare in this is absolutely crazy and soulless, I mean that as the highest compliment.

The Thief of Bagdad (1940) - This is easily one of the coolest old fantasy movies I've ever seen.


What are some of your favorite classic movies?  Have you ever taken part in this challenge?  Have you watched any of these?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Fun twist. I don't watch many movies, but I do enjoy watching classics every once in a while.

    My TTT Freebie is a Christmas playlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many fantastic classics! I haven't watched Parasite yet, but I have been intrigued since it won the Oscars a few years ago.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/short-holiday-reads-for-a-busy-season/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I'm bookmarking this one; my beloved and I are always looking for great old movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not seen any of these films. An interesting looking list!!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/12/05/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-blue-covers/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! Awesome list! I've been collecting lots of criterion movies and I can't wait to watch most of them soon!

    Here’s my TTT

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also did movies! Funnily enough, a friend of mine has been insistent that I be introduced to the Criterion collection, so we've been watching films from that all year long. Not many made it to my list ("Top Ten New to Me Movies"), but Mon Oncle, Umbrellas from Paris, etc did. The only one I've seen from your list is "Anatomy of a Murder". Great novel, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list if you are interested: https://readingfreely.com/2023/12/05/on-the-first-tease-of-tuesmas-my-true-love-gave-to-me/

      Delete
    2. Mon Oncle was so good! Thanks for sharing, Stephen!

      Delete
  7. I love this! I haven't watched nearly as many classics as I should. But one of my recent faves is Shadow of a Doubt. Watched it after reading Survive the Night by Riley Sager.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow of a Doubt paired with Survive the Night sounds like an awesome combo! :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen Parasite yet because it looks like it would freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's outstanding, Deanna. Definitely intense though!

      Delete
  9. Parasite is so good and sad at the same time too, because feels so realistic. I think i watched that version of Beauty and the Beast in college, that and Alice in Wonderland, they are fun adaptations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - and yes, Beauty and the Beast was so much fun.

      Delete
  10. Love your take on this week's topic. I had never heard of this challenge before today, so I appreciate you sharing. The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music are probably the two classic movies I've watched the most.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably seen them a hundred times- or at least The Wizard of Oz. :D

      Delete
  11. I need to see anatomy of a Murder. And PArasite. Night and the City also

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit I've not seen any of these, my knowledge is somewhat lacking when it comes to classic movies! I really enjoyed Singin' In The Rain? And my Nana really liked Julie Andrews so we watched a lot of her films when I was a kid!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/12/05/top-ten-tuesday-449/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singin in the Rain is one of my all time favorites - Gene Kelly was so cool!

      Delete
  13. Ooh, I remember my wife telling me about Parasite! I don't watch a lot of movies, but I was definitely curious about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading challenges—that's why my list today is about—but I've never done a movie challenge before. Sounds fun! I've never watched any of these. I did watch my favorite Christmas classic the other day: It's a Wonderful Life. That one never gets old for me!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letterboxd definitely has a lot of fun movie challenges -from month long, season long, to year long. It's a Wonderful Life is always good! :)

      Delete
  15. The Jean Cocteau Beaity and the Beast is such an amazing classic😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm blown away by how diverse your taste is in movies - your favorites are so completely different from each other. I just really think it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a lot of that is thanks to this challenge. :D It's pushed me to watch things I might not have picked out on my own.

      Delete
  17. I haven't heard of any of these, but I'm glad you discovered some new ones to enjoy. It's always fun when we watch something that surprises. :) Thanks so much for visiting my TTT list on this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows