Skip to main content

2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Announcement & Potential TBR

Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!  In 20202021, 2022, 2023, I took part in the Popsugar Reading Challenge and I'll be back again in 2024 for more reading fun.  This time around there are 45 regular prompts and an additional 5 advanced prompts.  I think I'm going to have pretty great reading year!  Keep reading to see my TBR for the 2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge:

1. A book with the word "leap" in the title

My choice: One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon by Charles Fishman - I've read a few history books about astronauts lately and this sounds like one I should miss.

2. A bildungsroman

My choice: Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay - I've been eyeing this YA contemporary at my library for ages and it's time I finally try it.

3. A book about a 24-year-old

My choice: My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh - I've heard some mixed reviews for this, but the sense of humor sounds great.

4. A book about a writer

My choice: Everyone on This Train is a Suspect (Ernest Cunningham #2) by Benjamin Stevenson - I've heard a lot great things this series and I plan on reading both books for this challenge.

5. A book about K-pop

My choice: I'll Be the One by Lyla Lee - This just looks delightful.

6. A book about pirates

My choice: All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth #1) by Adalyn Grace - I actually own a copy of this - it sounds like a fun YA fantasy.

7. A book about women's sports and/or by a woman athlete

My choice: Home Field Advantage by Dahlia Adler - I've enjoyed what I've read from this author in the past so I thought I'd try this as well.

8. A book by a blind or visually impaired author

My choice: The Story of My Life by Helen Keller - I know about her story, but I've never actually read it for myself.

9. A book by a deaf or hard-of-hearing author

My choice: Deaf Utopia by Nyle DiMarco - He was really good on Dancing with the Stars and he seems like a good person.

10. A book by a self-published author

My choice: The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefer - This sounds like my kind of urban fantasy.

11. A book from a genre you typically avoid

My choice: Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder #1) by Linda Castillo - I'm not really into Amish books, but I've been told to give these mysteries a try.

12. A book from an animal's POV

My choice: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld #28) by Terry Pratchett - I love this series, but somehow this is one I'd totally missed until now.

13. A book originally published under a pen name

My choice: Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel #1) by T. Kingfisher - This author has become one of my favorites and I have to catch up on all her stuff.  By the way, T. Kingfisher is the penname of Ursula Vernon.

14. A book recommended by a bookseller

My choice: Her Majesty's Royal Coven (Her Majesty's Royal Coven #1) by Juno Dawson - I've heard so many great things about this and a local bookstore has featured it as a staff pick.

15. A book recommended by a librarian

My choice: A Psalm for the Wild-Built (Monk and Robot #1) by Becky Chambers - I've been dying to read this and I've also spotted this on featured staff favorites at local libraries.

16. A book set 24 years before you were born

My choice: In the Heat of the Night (Virgil Tibbs #1) by John Ball - The movie with Sidney Poitier is outstanding and I had no idea it was based on a a book until recently.  This book came out in 1965 and is set in the present day for its release.  That makes it 24 years older than me.

17. A book set in a travel destination on your bucket list

My choice: Out by Natsuo Kirino -  One day  I'd like to visit Tokyo.

18. A book set in space

My choice: Skyward (Skyward #1) by Brandon Sanderson - I've heard so many great things about this series that it's time I finally give it a try.

19. A book set in the future

My choice: A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk and Robot #2) by Becky Chambers - I'm so happy that I'll be catching up on this series. 

20. A book set in the snow

My choice: Dead of Winter by Darcy Coates - I can't wait to read this since I was really impressed with what I've already read from her.

21. A book that came out in a year that ends with "24"

My choice: Murder Road by Simone St. James - I've loved this author's style in what I've already read from her and this sounds like it will be excellent.

22. A book that centers on video games

My choice: You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day - I've been meaning to read her autobiography for ages now.

23. A book that features dragons

My choice: Discount Armageddon (Incryptid #1) by Seanan McGuire - I've been meaning to start this given how much I've loved the rest of what I've read from McGuire.

24. A book that takes place over the course of 24 hours

My choice: The First to Die at the End (Death-Cast #1) by Adam Silvera - I can't believe I've put this prequel off for so long.

25. A book that was published 24 years ago

My choice: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - I've been told over and over that I need to read this.

26. A book that was turned into a musical

My choice: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - I've seen several adaptations of this - and I even had the chance to see the musical on Broadway years and years ago, but for some reason I've never read the book.  Most recently I watched Phantom of the Paradise (1974) which is probably the coolest movie adaptation of it that I've ever seen - this one also works in Faust and The Picture of Dorian Gray all to great effect!

27. A book where someone dies in the first chapter

My choice: The Shadows Between Us (The Shadows Between Us #1) by Tricia Levenseller - This YA fantasy romance sounds pretty cool and I've really enjoyed what I've read from this author in the past.

28. A book with a main character who's 42 years old
My choice: The Ferryman by Justin Cronin - I was meaning to read this earlier this year, but it got away from me.  Better late than never.

29. A book with a neurodivergent main character

My choice: Monument 14 (Monument 14 #1) by Emmy Laybourne - Somehow I missed this YA dystopia when it came out over a decade ago, but it still sounds interesting.

30. A book with a one-word title you had to look up in a dictionary

My choice: Ubik by Philip K. Dick - I'd never heard of this story at all and the word is still a mystery to me.

31. A book with a title that is a complete sentence

My choice: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone (Ernest Cunningham #1) by Benjamin Stevenson - I'm reading both books in this series for this challenge.

32. A book with an enemies-to-lovers plot

My choice: Graceling (Graceling Realm #1) by Kristin Cashore - I've had this on my Goodreads tbr since 2012 - it's time!

33. A book with an unreliable narrator

My choice: Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill - I absolutely loved All Our Yesterdays by this author and I'm excited to try this YA mystery thriller.

34. A book with at least three POVs

My choice: The Palace Job (Rouges of the Republic #1) by Patrick Weekes - I don't know about you, but this just sounds like a lot of fun.

35. A book with magical realism

My choice: Slewfoot: A Tale of Bewitchery by Brom - I've been meaning to try Brom for so long, but for some reason I kept putting him off for way too long.

36. A book written by an incarcerated or formerly incarcerated person

My choice: The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - My library has a copy of this and it seems quite popular, so I thought I'd try it for myself.

37. A book written during NaNoWriMo

My choice: The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost #1) by C.L. Clark - I've heard so many great things about this series and I'd love to start it.

38. A cozy fantasy book

My choice: Silver in the Wood (The Greehollow Duology #1) by Emily Tesh - This novella sounds like it could be perfect.

39. A fiction book by a trans or nonbinary author

My choice: The Lesbiana's Guide to Catholic School by Sonora Reyes - I've seen only glowing reviews of this novel and I'm really looking forward to it.

40. A horror book by a BIPOC author

My choice: The Fervor by Alma Katsu - A horror story set during the Japanese-American internment camps during WWII?  This could be something else!

41. A memoir that explores queerness

My choice: Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming - Alan Cumming is one of my favorites.

42. A nonfiction book about Indigenous people

My choice: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown - I've been meaning to read this history book for way too long.  It sounds like I can't miss it.

43. A second-chance romance

My choice: Persuasion by Jane Austen - I thought I'd use this prompt to try this classic.

44. An autobiography by a woman in rock 'n' roll

My choice: Just Kids by Patti Smith - I don't actually know that much about her so I'll learn a lot.

45. An LGBTQ+ romance novel

My choice: I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston - I've really liked this author, so I'm hoping I'll like this one just as much.

Advanced Prompts

1. A book in which a character sleeps for more than 24 hours

My choice: Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente - This just sounds cool!

2. A book with 24 letters in the title

My choice: Tales of the Celestial Kingdom (The Celestial Kingdom #2.5) by Sue Lynn Tan - It will just be nice to be back in this world for a bit. By the way, I took this prompt to mean "at least" 24, so this is close enough for me.

3. A collection of at least 24 poems

My choice: I Knead My Mommy: and Other Poems by Kittens by Francesco Marciuliano - This just looks so darn cute!

4. The 24th book of an author

My choice: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld #24) by Terry Pratchett - I just love this series so much!

5. A book that starts with the letter "X"

My choice: XOXO by Axie Oh - I've been meaning to try this author, so why not start here?


Are you taking part in the 2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  Which one should I read first?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. These are awesome prompts and books to go with them. I loved Six Gun Snow White!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US