Skip to main content

2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #3

   

Happy Saturday everyone and welcome to my third 2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!   In March, I completed 8 books for a total of 22 so far this year out of 50 books.  I'm really making great progress.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read in March:

 ❋ 
The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a tough to read but important.  I don't know a whole lot about Russian history so I know I just totally missed some elements.  Also, I'm glad I missed the audiobook because otherwise I don't know if I would have been able to complete it.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ 
Monument 14 (Monument 14 #1) by Emmy Laybourne was on my tbr for ages and I'm glad I finally got to it.  I can definitely say that it doesn't waste any time at all - it gets right to it.  I can also say that I wish I read it back when it was new or if I was younger.  While it's a solid read, I couldn't get into any of the characters and I could have done without the romance element and the drama.  I would have preferred to stick with the survivalist stuff.  I don't think I'll be back for the rest of the series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  ❋ 
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown is incredibly brutal and depressing but it should absolutely be required reading.  I know I can't add anything more of substance than this, but it comes highly recommended from me.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  ❋ 
Deaf Utopia by Nyle DiMarco has been recommended to me several times during the last year and I'm glad I finally decided to read it. I appreciated how ASL is handled within, and I'm glad I read his introduction on that note as well. I didn't really know that much about him going in aside from him being on Dancing with the Stars. Regardless, if you're at all interested in learning more about Deaf culture his autobiography is worth reading.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
The Fervor by Alma Katsu  is a solid historical horror standalone novel.  While it hit a lot of the right notes for me a good part of the time, I think was looking for a little more out of this WWII Japanese interment camp set horror story.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 

XOXO by Axie Oh was pretty cute. I didn't quite like it as much as I'll Be the One by Lyla Lee but it's still a great YA Contemporary. Plus, I'm glad I decided to listened to the audiobook edition because the narrator Greta Jung is does a great job (she also narrated I'll Be the One.  I think I'll have try the next book in this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  
Skyward (Skyward #1) by Brandon Sanderson was great! Why was I sitting on this for so long? I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of the series.  If you're looking for one of the best YA sci-fi series openers, you can't skip this!

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld #28) by Terry Pratchett wasn't quite what I was hoping for.  I always get a kick out of this author and this series, but this one might be my least favorite of series that I've read so far.  I am glad I listened to the audiobook though because the narrator has a great voice for it.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I hear nothing but good things about The Skyward trilogy. I'm glad you loved the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a challenge. I haven't read any of these but I am aware of Sanderson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US