Skip to main content

Marvelathon: Villains vs Heroes - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Sunday everyone! Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for the Marvelathon: Villains vs Villains, hosted by Lisa Does Life,  It ran for the entire month of March. I chose to be on Team Heroes and I earned a grand total of 705 Points for this challenge.  You can read my original tbr post here.  Without further ado, check out my thoughts on the books I read for this challenge.

Director Fury - Book With Disability Rep

 ❋ ❋  ❋ 
One For All by Lillie Lainoff is a new favorite.  Honestly, it's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for in a retelling of a classic novel.  If you love The Three Musketeers, you'll have to meet Tania de Batz - she's a real gem!  I can't wait to read anything this author writes in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads+ 15 Bonus Points For LGBTQ Rep = 165 Points 



Hela  - Villain - Read A Book With An Animal Companion/ Animal On The Cover

 ❋ 
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld #28) by Terry Pratchett wasn't quite what I was hoping for.  I always get a kick out of this author and this series, but this one might be my least favorite of series that I've read so far.  I am glad I listened to the audiobook though because the narrator has a great voice for it.

My review is also on Goodreads and my Popsugar update. 50 Points

Agatha - Villain - Book With An Comic Relief Character

❋ 
I really wanted to like The Jolly Regina (The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters #1) by Kara LaReau, Illustrated Jen Hill  more. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is a favorite so I was hoping for something else to come along like that but this was just kind of grating. Maybe if I read it when I was 8 or 9 I would have enjoyed it? That said I really did like the illustrations and the "Captain Ann Tenille" thing was pretty good.

My review is also on Goodreads. 50 Points


Venom - Villain - Read A Book Where The Characters Can't Live Without Each Other

❋ ❋ ❋ 
I just happened to find In the Red by Christopher Swiedler at a thrift store and I'm so glad I decided to buy it.  I don't read MG sci-fi all that often and this ended up being quite the pleasant surprise.  It has a great sense of adventure and some high life or death stakes.  I also appreciated it deals with issues with anxiety.  I'll have to check out more from this author.

My review is also on Goodreads. 50 Points



Captain America - Hero - Alternate History

❋ ❋ ❋ 
A School For Unusual Girls (Stranje House #1) by Kathleen Baldwin was a fun alternate history.  There's plenty of intrigue and the mystery element is pretty cool.  I also can't resist historical fantasy and this does a pretty good job of bringing this alternate 1814 to life.  As much as I liked this, though, I don't think I'm invested enough in the series to come back for the other installments.

My review is also on Goodreads100 Points


Dr. Strange - Hero - Book With A Character That Undergoes A Life Altering Change

❋ 
The Testing (The Testing #1) by Joelle Charbonneau is okay but reminded me too much of both Divergent and The Hunger Games to really get invested in the story, characters, and world (which honestly seemed a bit flat to me). I don't know if I had read it back when it was new I would have preferred it, or not. I don't think I'll be back for the rest of the series. By the way, this book made me want to rewatch the dystopian Brazilian tv series called 3% which I highly recommend checking out on Netflix if you haven't already.

My review is also on Goodreads.  100 Points


Jean Grey - Hero - Book With An Immortal Character

❋ ❋ ❋ 
A Dowry of Blood (A Dowry of Blood #1) by S.T. Gibson ended up being a pleasant surprise.  I didn't know how much I needed this unique and darkly gothic Brides of Dracula retelling, but this was pretty cool.  I will say that it took me a minute to get into the style, but really though the format of the novel really made the whole thing work for me.  I'll now have to read everything by this author, and I wouldn't mind a return to this world in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads and I also read it for my Beat the Backlist Challenge100 Points


Watch A Film + 15 Bonus Points

❋ ❋ ❋ 
My library screened The Marvels for our March Teen Movie Night.  No one in the group had seen it before and by the end probably about 90% of the group really seemed to get a kick out of it.  The standout moments were anything with Goose and Kamala and her family.  Plus, you can't forget that end credit scene!

My review is also on Letterboxd15 Points


❋ ❋ 
It's been quite a while since I've watched Iron Man 2.  While it's not quite a favorite, I do appreciate that it gives us Don Cheadle's Rhodey and Scarlett Johansson's Natasha.  Black Widow's intro is pretty awesome.

My review is also on Letterboxd15 Points


Watch An Episode Of A Series + 10 Bonus Points

 ❋ ❋ ❋ .5
I'm glad I decided to rewatch Moon Knight. I caught a few things that I missed the first time around and I paid more attention to Layla this time around too. I hope we get to see Steven, Mark, and Layla again in the future. I really hope Steven gets to meet Jack Russell, Werewolf By Night.

My review is also on Letterboxd60 Points


Did you take part in this challenge?  Have you read or watched any of these?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Great job! I'm glad you enjoyed A Dowry of Blood, I was pleasantly surprised too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US