Skip to main content

Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2024 - August Update: The Night Watchman & Stateless

 

Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope everyone's been doing well.  I've now completed 16 tasks for Book Riot's 2024 Read Harder Challenge.  The tasks I completed in August required me to read a historical fiction book by an Indigenous author and a book that went under the radar in 2023.  I selected The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich and Stateless by Elizabeth Wein respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and my plans for next month:

 ❋ ❋  

The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich is one of my favorites of 2024.  I wish I hadn't sat on it since she's one of my favorite authors, but I'm glad I finally decided to pick this up because it's just plain outstanding.  The story is even more meaningful knowing that it's based on her grandfather's life.  Plus, she does an excellent job narrating the audiobook edition of her story.  I can't recommend this work of historical fiction enough.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

Stateless by Elizabeth Wein is easily one of my favorite reads of 2024.  I love this author's engaging brand of historical fiction.  I'd say I loved this as much as I loved her novel <i>Code Name Verity</i> which is honestly a modern classic.  If you loved that, I can't recommend this one enough.  I'll have to get caught up on what I've missed from her asap.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For September:

Read a book about books (fiction or nonfiction).

My choice: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester - I've been meaning to read this for ages and it sounds like something else.

Read a book about media literacy.

My choice: True or False: A CIA Analyst's Guide to Spotting Fake News by Cindy L. Otis - A long time ago back when I was in high school, I was in an information media literacy class.  It seems like it would be even more important these days.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I haven't read either of these books, but wow they sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Professor and the Madman would be right up your alley, Tammy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US