Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge - September Update: Watership Down & My Beautiful Enemy


How is it almost October?  Where's the time going?  Anyway, now that means that I've completed 18 out of 24 books of Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge!  The tasks I completed  this month required me to read a book in which an animal or inanimate object is a point-of-view character and an historical romance by an AOC.  For the tasks, I selected Watership Down by Richard Adams and My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2) by Sherry Thomas.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's next for October:



❋ 
I must be in the minority in my thoughts on Watership Down by Richard Adams. I didn't really like it all that much. The first hundred pages were good, but it started losing my attention afterwards. Why did this have to be 500 pages? I can appreciate fleshing out rabbit and animal society, culture, language, lore, and religion, but here it bogged the story down. I liked the descriptions of nature, but I didn't connect to and wasn't interested in any of the characters. I like Animal Farm, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Lord of the Rings, but Watership Down by Richard Adams just wasn't for me.

My review can also be found of Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

I'm so glad I finally picked up the second half of this duology, My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2) by Sherry Thomas.  If you like your romance with a major portion of wuxia action and adventure this might just be for you!

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For October:

A cozy mystery


My choice: Elementary, She Read (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #1) by Vicki Delany - All I had to hear was Sherlock Holmes and bookshop!

A business book


My choice: #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso - I'm not familiar with the author of this, but it certainly sounds intriguing.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part in Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and possibly even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows