Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2020 Read Harder Challenge - July Update: Tomboy & A Raisin in the Sun


Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope everyone's been staying healthy.  July has finally come to a close and that means I've now completed 14 out of 24 books of Book Riot's 2020 Read Harder Challenge!  The tasks I completed required me to read a graphic memoir and a play by an author of color or a queer author and I selected Tomboy by Liz Prince and A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry (I originally planned to read Fences (The Century Cycle #6) by August Wilson, but I was unable to get my hands on a copy) respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's next for August: 



❋ ❋ ❋  

I've had Tomboy by Liz Prince on my tbr for nearly six whole years. I couldn't quite tell you why I've been putting this graphic memoir off for so long, but I'm glad I finally had the chance to tick it off my list because it was brilliant. I could definitely relate to young Liz here as a tomboy growing up myself. I didn't quite take it to the same level, but it's always good to see yourself represented. It's also quite relatable in that it doesn't hold back from the serious issues and the darker themes present in her life. No matter what, though, through it all Liz Prince keeps it nice and honest. I need to read more of Liz Prince's work.

My review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

I'm glad I finally picked up the classic American play A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry.  I don't know why I've been sitting on it until now.  Actually now that I think about it, I don't think I've even seen a production or adaptation of it.  Still, though, I'd heard a lot about it and I'm glad to say that it certainly lived up to the hype.  It feels just as fresh now as I'm sure it did when it was new.  I'm going to have to see this on stage one of these days.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For August:

Read an audiobook of poetry


My choice: Swing by Kwame Alexander - I don't know about you, but I this sounds like the perfect option for this task.

Read a debut novel by a queer author


My choice: Tarnished are the Stars by Rosiee Thor - I loved The Lunar Chronicles and Rook, so I think this sounds like going to be perfect for me.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows