Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1) by Charlaine Harris + 50/50 Friday

 



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook.  Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.  As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.   Then, for  50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1) by Charlaine Harris.  This is the first thing outside of The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris that I've ever read, so it'll be interesting to see how it compares.  I'm also excited to try it because I'm hooked on NBC's television adaptation (I've been following along with it on Twitter actually) - I can't wait to see the season finale this Monday and I really hope it gets renewed - and I really want to know what Manfred and company are like in the source material.  I'm not that far into it yet, but it's definitely promising - and, of course, I can't help but picture my favorite characters as their tv counterparts!  Let's get this show on the road!


Beginning: 

You might pass through the town of Midnight without noticing it, if there weren't a stoplight at the intersection of Witch Light Road and the Davy highway.  Most of the town residents are very proud of the stoplight, because they know that without it the town would dry up and blow away.

56:

Manfred saw that Mr. Snuggly had bypassed them somehow and was now sitting right on the boundary of Fiji's lush and lovely yard and the bare weedy ground in front of the chapel.  His tail was curled around his paws.  he could have been a stripped statue for sale in a home decor shop.  This was a cat who had mastered the art of stillness.



50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Series Cover Set










Favorite - The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater - Just beautiful!




Least Favorite - The Curse Workers by Holly Black - I loved these up until that redesign for book three (WHY?!)!  The first two feature the original covers, then the last shows what they did to it.  The stories, though, are some of my all time favorites!  You can see here what we could have had for the final book here - not as good as the originals, but it's something at least.


Have you been watching Midnight, Texas on NBC or have you read the original series?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below!

Comments

  1. My husband grew up in a town with one traffic light. I think he would agree that the people of the town were proud of it. My Friday Quotes are at the bottom of the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live near a few towns with only one or two stoplights - and/ or stop signs! I know that feeling! :)

      Thanks for coming over, Anne!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren!

    I love the line - cat who mastered the art of stillness. lol Sounds like a great book.

    You've highlighted some fabulous book covers here. I must check them out, I'm fickle that way LOL

    Have a great weekend, Lauren,

    Here is mine http://bit.ly/2vX9rVO

    I didn't play last week as my laptop died. Like Dr Who - it's now regenerated lol

    Luv Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's a good one! :)

      Definitely check out all of them!

      Thanks for sharing and coming over, Sassy!

      Delete
  3. I love small towns as long as they're light reads. Dark secrets in small town put me on edge. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may put you on edge then - at least the tv adaptation is pretty intense! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Lisa!

      Delete
  4. I have been enjoying the TV version of Midnight Texas. I still have one of the books to read. I have read all of her books except that one. I'm featuring Sleep Like a Baby by Charlaine Harris this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's definitely interesting spotting some differences like with character descriptions - for example Manfred looks a bit different and Lem looks a lot different than the actors! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

      Delete
  5. Ugh I don't like redesigns either!! It just doesn't make any sense to me why they would choose to change the whole color and theme scheme in the middle of the series! They could at least wait until the series is over before doing a complete series redesign. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe they totally redesigned books 1 and 2 to go a long with the cover for 3... so disappointing.

      Delete
  6. I've lived in a few small towns over the years...and I'd rather read about them than live in one. LOL.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only made it to book 5 of the Sookie Stackhouse books, they started to get really weird with all the different shifters. Since I didn't really care for that series, I am reluctant to read the Midnight, Texas series.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that far into it yet, but it's good so far - I mostly picked it up since the show has been fun.

      Thanks for sharing, Marie!

      Delete
  8. The Raven Cycle is a beautiful series! The covers and the writing, the characters and the story. I'm getting carried away but great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should read this. I did start watching the show, but 4 or 5 episodes in, I was so disappointed in it I stopped. It didn't live up to my expectations. I bet the book is better though, usually is. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really have any expectations going in - these two most recent episodes have been excellent.

      Have a great one, Freda!

      Delete
  10. I, too, have only read the vampire novels, so I hope you'll find you like her other works too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in a small coastal town and love it. We have more than one traffic light though:) I'm sure going to go check out some of these books too!

    My Friday 56 for From The Grave

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really enjoying the Midnight Texas television series too. I am thinking that I need to work this series into my reading schedule soon. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen Midnight Texas, but I do see you tweeting about it. Your enthusiasm makes me want to check it out myself. Happy Friday, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! It's the only new show I've started watching and it's one of the few I can actually watch live - definitely fun. :)

      Have a good weekend, Alicia!

      Delete
  14. The Raven Cycle covers are so gorgeous! I like the cover for White Cat but not the other two.... helps that there's actually an adorable cat on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Raven Cycle are 100000% my favourite covers ever. 😍 And I LOVE the Curseworker books but omg they're horrible to look at haaha. I have the covers that are a bit illustrated at least so that saves my eyes. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrated ones aren't too bad - actually I think I have only seen the first one with that cover.

      Delete
  16. I like that beginning, and Midnight Texas does seem to be pretty popular. I kinda want to try the show.

    Yeah that Black Heart redesign is kind of unfortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice 50/50 Friday post!! It was great to see your choices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I picked some winners! Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  18. Hi Lauren,

    Some of the 'market towns' around here, aren't all that big, but they all have plenty of trffic lights and roundabouts - It just wouldn't be England otherwise!

    My thoughts about your cover art suites are exactly the same as yours and whilst 'The Raven Cycle' may be well outside of my reading comfort zone, the covers are pretty stunning!

    Enjoy the Charlaine Harris series, I have yet to read any of her books.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,

      Thanks for coming over! Roundabouts haven't really caught on so much in my area, but the old downtowns remind me of the story with less desert conditions!

      Delete
  19. I'm really enjoying the TV show. It definitely makes me want to read the books. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm enjoying the TV show Midnight Texas, although I'm a couple of episodes behind. I do want to read the series and have it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never read Charlaine Harris- but intrigued b/c of the show- not sure I would watch it but I want to read the first in series for sure~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usy usually what I'd do too, but my hold on book one took some time to come in at the library! :)

      Delete
  22. How did I miss this Charlaine Harris book and TV show? I have to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely have to look into them, Catherine! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early