Skip to main content

Pride Month 2022 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Sunday everyone!  In honor of Pride Month in June, I celebrated the occasion by tackling some LGBTQIAP books that I already own and that I borrowed from the library.  You can check out my original TBR post here.  You can also check out what I read for Pride Month in 201820192020, and 2021.  I didn't make it to everything on my TBR, but overall I got in some great reads.  Keep reading to mini reviews of the books I read:

 ❋   
The Atlas Six (The Atlas #1) by Olivie Blake mostly lives up to all the hype. I really enjoyed spending time with all of these characters regardless of how frustrating they could be. My favorites were easily Nico, Libby, and Reina. All of the characters were very unique and well developed but I wish we got to see a little more of Reina. The characters are where this book really succeeds, but I wish the world-building was just as great. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but it didn't quite feel like it's own character or like a place I could walk into or experience. If you like the style of V.E. Schwab or M.L. Rio, I have a feeling you will want to read this novel. I will definitely be back for the sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋  
I don't think I can express just how much I loved Little Thieves (Little Thieves #1) by Margaret Owen!  It pulled me in right from the beginning and for all 512 pages it absolutely captivated me.  The world building, the magic, and especially the cast of characters are all absolutely fantastic.  It even has a glossary and everything which in my book is nearly awesome as having a map.  If you're a fan of Leigh Bardugo, I have a feeling this will be right up your alley.  I can't wait until the sequel, Painted Devils, will be released next year.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
The Grimrose Girls (Grimrose Girls #1) by Laura Pohl is solid but not quite as great as I was hoping for.  I'm glad I decided to read more from this author though as I've enjoyed her past work.  Here though I didn't feel like I got to know the characters nearly enough, but I did enjoy the fairy tale elements incorporated into this reimagining.  I haven't decided yet if I'll be back for the sequel or not.

My review is also on Goodreads.


DNF'd @ 45%

I was so irritated by The Inside of Out by Jenn Marie Thorne.  It wasn't too bad at first - I mean, the MC could be grating - but overall it seemed to have good intentions.  Then, came the asexual "rep" and that put me right off.  What the heck, Ms. Thorne. Not cool!

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  
Iron Widow (Iron Widow #1) by Xiran-Jay Zhao is very close to being a full five star read for me.  I loved how it just dropped us right into the action to start off with.  It gives us a great sense of the world and the characters right off the bat.  It's one of those books where I knew right from the beginning that this was going to be a great.  I also greatly appreciated that it doesn't hold back from the darkness and the tough stuff.  I didn't know what to expect when I heard the comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale and Pacific Rim, but surprisingly they are definitely accurate.   I'm really looking forward to the sequel, Heavenly Tyrant.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋   
They weren't kidding when they compared Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki to Good Omens meets The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. This was pretty great and a delightful read.  I needed absolutely needed to read this incredibly original and creative standalone sci-fi fantasy novel.  I will have to read more of Ryka Aoki's work in the future.




 
From reviews I've read, it looks like Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat #1) by Francesca Lia Block is either a love it or a hate it book - and I didn't love it. This wasn't for me. The characters were flat and grating. I felt like I must have been missing something about how it became a YA classic and won so many awards.  My recommendation: save yourself a headache and skip this one.




 ❋  ❋ 
Wayward Witch (Brooklyn Brujas #3) by Zoraida Cordova has been on my tbr for way too long.  I just didn't want the series to come to an end.  I don't know what I was worried about through because it was a brilliant finale!  I loved getting to explore the Kingdom of Adas and meet its inhabitants.  I was really glad to meet Lin - I wouldn't mind someday to get another book featuring in the leading role.  I need to catch up on this author's other books very soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋ 
A Kingdom for a Stage (Shadow Players #2) by Heidi Heilig is a sequel that I definitely preferred to the first book in the series.  One of my favorite things about this is the format with the sheet music, scripts from plays, and letters and the world of the story.  It was good to see the characters again, especially some that get to take a little more of a front seat this time around.  While the finale isn't quite at the top of my read list, I'm still interested in seeing how this series ends.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋ 
Goldie Vance, Volume 3 by Hope Larson and Britney Williams is probably my least favorite volume of the series so far.  There were a few characters I just missed seeing more of this time around.  That said it is still a great read and I can't wait to see what's next up for Goldie.  I love the way the time period is drawn - it's so fashionable and the color palette - is fantastic.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋ 
It took a little while for me to get into Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno, but I'm glad I stuck with it.  I don't often read magical realism, but this is a good example of it.  Of everything, I ended up appreciating the setting and atmosphere most of all.  I need to catch up on Katrina Leno's work one of these days.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋ 
The Devil's Music (The Montague Twins #2) by Nathan Page and Drew Shannon is a brilliant follow up to The Witch's Hand which was fantastic.  I would give it more stars if I could!  Honestly, this YA historical fantasy is quickly becoming a favorite graphic novel series.  Please, I hope we get to more of Al, Pete, and company in the future!  If you're a fan of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle, I have a feeling you'll love this too.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  What did you read in honor of Pride Month?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to read Iron Widow for a while. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I need a Lin book right now! I'm hoping sometime in the future Zoraida will return to the Brooklyn Brujas world. I gave into the hype and bought both The Atlas Six and Little Thieves. I can't wait to get to both and of course Iron Widow! Happy July, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are crossed that'll happen! I hope you'll like The Atlas Six and Little Thieves.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads