Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2023 Read Harder Challenge - March Update: Women, Race & Class & I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope everyone's been doing well.  How is it almost April already?  Anyway, I've now competed the four tasks of Book Riot's 2023 Read Harder Challenge.  The tasks I completed this month required me to read a nonfiction book about intersectional feminism and a book of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author and I selected Women, Race & Class by Angela Y. Davis and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and keep your eyes out soon for my tbr for next month:

 ❋ ❋  ❋ 

Women, Race & Class by Angela Y. Davis should be required reading.  I really wish I had read and studied this back when I was in college rather than tackling it on my own, but regardless it is such a powerful read.  If you're looking for history of intersectional feminism, this is a comprehensive although brief work.  Even though this is over 4o years old now, it's still just as relevant as ever.  In fact, it would be interesting to see an updated edition.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  ❋ 

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou had been on my tbr for way too long.  Honestly, I should have read this years ago but I'm glad I finally picked it up.  I'm surprised this wasn't required reading when I was in school.  I know that whatever I say here will not do it justice at all, but regardless it is a fascinating must read.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For April: 

Read one of your favorite author’s favorite books.
My choice: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman - I've loved what I've read from this author so far, but when I heard this is one of V.E. Schwab's favorites I might have bumped this a little higher up my tbr!

Read a completed webcomic.

My choice: True Beauty, Vol. 1 (True Beauty #1) by Yaongyi - I've never read manhwa before let alone a romance comic before, but I thought I'd give this one a chance.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads