Skip to main content

Pride Month 2023 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 

Happy Thursday everyone!  This month in honor of Pride Month, I celebrated by reading some LGBTQIAP books that have been on my TBR.  If you like, you can check out my original TBR post here.  I managed to complete all ten books that I was hoping to get to and lucked out with a pretty good reading experience this past month.  Keep reading to see the books I read for Pride Month:

 ❋ ❋ 
The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire #1) by Andrea Stewart has been on my radar for ages and I've been putting it off for way too long.  I'm glad I finally decided to pick it up because it's a great series opener.  I was absorbed by the world-building and the magic system.  I'll have to read the rest of the series soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
The City of Dusk (The Dark Gods #1) by Tara Sim was a solid if overly long series opener. I haven't quite decided if I'll be back for book two yet or not. I really liked that Google Lens thing you could do with the front and back covers - I'd never seen anything quite like that before with a book before.  I also particularly enjoyed the seeing the types of magic in action, especially the necromancy.  That sounds dark, doesn't it?

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ ❋  
I read Flamer by Mike Curato in one sitting and it made me feel pretty misty eyed.  It's a must read and I think I'll have to look into more from this author's work as soon as possible. It was an excellent choice to kick off my Pride Month TBR with this graphic novel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
I really liked the idea of Out of the Blue by Jason June, but the longer it dragged on the more annoyed I got. Then again, I'm not really a rom com sort of person.  Cress/ Ross was easily my favorite character, especially before meeting Sean or getting to mixed up with the whole fake dating thing. 

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  
Painted Devils (Little Thieves #2) by Margaret Owen was easily one of my most anticipated reads and I shouldn't have worried about it.  Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better sequel.  I loved everything about this and I can't wait for the upcoming book three.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  
The Priory of the Orange Tree (The Roots of Chaos #1) by Samantha Shannon has been sitting on my TBR for way and I'm so happy I finally decided to read this.  It really blew me away - I loved pretty much every single things about it.  The world-building is absolutely outstanding and I couldn't get enough of the cast of characters.  I can't recommend this fantasy series opener enough and I can't wait to read the prequel and the upcoming sequel!

My review is also on Goodreads and I read this for my Popsugar Reading Challenge.


 ❋ 
Aces Wild: A Heist by Amanda DeWitt was a book I was looking forward to reading for so long.  Now that I've read it, I think my expectations for this were just a little too high.  Although it wasn't bad at all, I was hoping for more out of it especially in terms of the heist.  My favorite elements were easily the cast of characters and the dynamics of their group.  It was good to get this kind of rep!

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 

Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison is a coming of age novel that came to my attention thanks to book bans and book challenges.  Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been on my radar.  It's a solid read, but It's not quite my style.  Honestly, that comes down to Mike himself.  When the description compares him Holden Caufield, I say that's an apt description and it's an annoying as well.

My review is also on Goodreads and my June Update for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge.


 ❋ ❋  
The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger is an incredibly tough to read and it will stick with you.  This lesser known part of history must be known.  I actually cried several times while reading it.



 ❋ 
Seven Faceless Saints (Seven Faceless Saints #1) by M.K. Lobb is a solid YA fantasy series opener, but it didn't stand out as much as I hoped it would.  I think I was hoping for something more along the lines of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff than anything, but it just never quite managed it.  That said, I loved getting to know the characters, but I wish there wasn't a romance element to this story.

My review is also on Goodreads and I read it for my Popsugar Reading Challenge.


Have you read any of these books?  What did you read for June?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Looks like you had a really good Pride month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put off The Bone Shard Daughter as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it though. I must get to it soon. I also have Little Thieves on my shelf which I have heard to many good things about. Great job getting to all these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows