Skip to main content

My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies #1) by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

King Edward is dying which is super inconvenient since he'd much rather think about his first kiss than trying to figure out who's going to succeed him after his death at only sixteen. Bookish Jane is his cousin and she's way more interested in reading than romance. Unfortunately for her, Edward has agreed to marry her off in order to secure the line of succession. There's no denying that there's something a little weird about her intended, Gifford. Gifford, he prefers to be called G, is actually an Eðian (pronouced eth-ee-un). Basically, he involuntarily shapeshifts into a particular animal. In his case, he spends his days galloping around as a noble steed, and then he wakes up at dusk with a mouthful of hay. The indignity of it all! Edward, Jane, and G quickly get wrapped up in a dangerous conspiracy and they'll have to do some conspiring of their own with the fate of the kingdom in their hands. Fingers crossed that they can pull off their plan with their heads still attached.


My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows is so much fun and it has a laugh out loud sense of humor. I expect that this is going to be one of my favorite reads of 2017! This is easily one of my favorite historical fantasy novels - and it actually has a basis in real Tudor history just with a lot of magic and shenanigans thrown into the mix. It fully lives up to the hype surrounding it too and manages to be a real delight. The authorial intrusions are pulled off well and are actually really refreshing in this retelling. They really help to set the tone right from the get go. As much as I loved getting to know our entire cast, my favorite of the main three is easily G. He manages to get some of the best scenes and lines. I also loved Jane bookishness - I could really relate!


Overall, My Lady Jane is one of my favorite pieces of revisionist history that I've read in a long time - it's a hilarious breath of fresh air! I don't know if I can wait until next year for My Plain Jane and I can't recommend this novel enough! If you love The Princess Bride and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I have a feeling that you'll adore My Lady Jane.


I read this novel from January 23 - January 28, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I love The Princess Bride and The Holy Grail, so it seems I will love this! My Lady Jane has been on my TBR for quite some time. I'm hoping to pick it up this year though! Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you like it, Genni!

      Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete
  2. This book was super fun!! I loved the humor and the characters and the way they cleverly twisted history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, too. I laughed my way through it. I was ready for un-serious YA and this is what you get with this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I can't wait to see where they go with the next book!

      Delete
  4. Why I haven't read this book yet, I'll never know. It sounds and looks like so much fun. Plus, I love the idea of this being a series of "famous" Jane's from history. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows