Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my next read, The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl From Everywhere  #1) by Heidi Heilig.  I absolutely can't wait to jump into this novel as the first book in this series was one of my favorites from 2016 and an absolutely marvelous debut!


Beginning:

On a warm December day in 1884, the Temptation was leaving Hawaii, as well as the nineteenth century, and her destination was entirely in her hands.

56:

"We should do something nice for the," she said then.

"For who?"

"For Bee and Ayen.  To celebrate."

"What's better than a triple scoop with rainbow sprinkles?"

Now Nix swatted at me, but instead of slipping away, I caught her fingers in mine.  "She helped throw me a party for my theft day," she said.  "It's important."


This week I'm also taking part in a linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is World You'd Like/ Not Like To Live In.  I could have very easily said the Wizarding World and Panem as my two choices respectively, but I'll pick another pair for a change of scenery.

World I'd Like To Live In:



Arnes, aka Red London from Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab - Can you blame me?  Kell's London sounds wonderful.

World I'd Not Like To Live In:


The titular luxury high-rise of J.G. Ballard's High-Rise - The 1975 novel was adapted into a film in 2015 starring Tom Hiddleston as the main character who moves into an ultra modern and convenient high-rise apartment building in London.  Let's just say, things take a decidedly dystopian turn in the building - think Lord of the Flies set in a new apartment block.

Comments

  1. I didn't realize the sequel was out. I have a techer who loved the first book in the series, so I must look for the sequel. I hope you like it. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of that one, hope you enjoy it! :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesss I so desperately want to live on the Londons!! Preferably Red London. 😜 And I just ordered the Ship Beyond Time and I'm SO excited!! The first book was so good too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! :)

      It was awesome - I'm hoping the sequel is just as good if not better.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize this was the second in a series. I'll need to go check out the first book.

    My Friday 56 from Origin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read the Shades of Magic series. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover is just amazing. Hope the book is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You used a Pirates of the Caribbean GIF and I will love you forever :D Those movies are amazing and are made significantly better by Johnny Depp!! But back on topic :)

    I seriously need to get started on the Shades of Magic series! It looks so cool. Also, anything Tom Hiddleston was cast for, I'm down for watching and reading! And Lord of the Flies esk? Count me in! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely makes the series, doesn't he. :)

      Yes, I think you'd love it! I still haven't seen the High-Rise movie, but I definitely want to see how it's handled.

      Thanks for coming over, Laura!

      Delete
  9. Sounds good. I read the first book and enjoyed it despite my dislike for time travel. I have Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld - a graphic novel - this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And, yet again, you add books to my TBR! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm scared of heights so living in a high-rise apartment building is a no for me! Also, I'd be trapped if the dystopian aspect included a robot takeover *cough cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No robots - but the elevators, things don't work out so well there... :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a good series! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to read The Girl From Everywhere. I am so far behind. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it when you get there, Carole.

      Delete
  14. I hope you enjoy The Ship Beyond Time! I really enjoyed it myself. Happy weekends, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I love the cover! And sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that it's just as awesome as the first book!

      Delete
  16. Sounds tempting! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early