Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge - August Update: The Vegetarian & Ouran High School Host Club


Is it almost September already?  Wow!  Anyway, now that means that I've completed 16 out of 24 books of Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge!  The tasks I completed  this month required me to read a translated book written by and/or translated by a woman and a book of manga.  For the tasks, I selected The Vegetarian by Han Kang and Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco Hatori.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's next for September:


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I've read a lot of odd books, but The Vegetarian by Han Kang might top the list.  I'm not entirely sure how to review this one, but here we go.  While reading this short novel, I felt like I was missing some context.  Not that it took it took away from the story or anything, but it seemed like I was definitely out of the loop somewhere.  That said, it certainly added to the unsettling aspect nature of the Kang's book.  The story is also told from three different perspectives at different points yet none of them from Yeong-hye herself but from those around her.  Honestly, I would have preferred to have a part told from the titular character's POV considering everyone else's reactions to her decisions.  Finally, wouldn't Yeong-hye be a vegan instead of a vegetarian?

I read this book from August 2 - 3, 2019 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

I enjoyed the anime adaptation of Ouran High School Host Club, so I thought I'd give the original manga a go.  Shojo manga isn't usually one of go-tos, but this one has been on my tbr for ages.  While this is just as funny and quirky as the series I got so hooked on, I actually prefer the art and style of the anime adaptation.  I probably won't continue on with the manga, but I'll definitely have to rewatch the anime.




I read this manga on August 6, 2019 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For September:

A book in which an animal or inanimate object is a point-of-view character


My choice: Watership Down by Richard Adams - I've been told so many times I need to read this classic and I'm ready to finally tackle it.

An historical romance by an AOC


My choice: My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2) by Sherry Thomas - I read the first book in this duolgoy for 2018 Read Harder and I really surprised myself with how much I liked it (I don't know why I doubted Sherry Thomas's abilities) and I'm looking forward to reading the finale this time around.


Have you been taking part in Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I can wait to hear what you think of Watership Down. I should probably read it again, I read it way back when I was a kid, but I still remember how impactful it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard all about it so I can't wait to pick it up!

      Delete
  2. You are doing really well with this challenge - good for you! I hope this batch of books is more successful for you than the last.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didin't