Skip to main content

ARC Mini Reviews - The Secrets We Bury, The Lies We Tell, & The Darkness We Hide


Today I'm sharing three mini ARC reviews with you: The Secrets We Bury (The Undertaker's Daughter #1) by Debra Webb (released April 19, 2019), The Lies We Tell (The Undertaker's Daughter #2) by Debra Webb (released September 17, 2019), and The Darkness We Hide (The Undertaker's Daughter #3) by Debra Webb (available March 31, 2020).  I received all of these ARCs from NetGalley via the publisher in exchange for honest reviews.  Read on to see my thoughts on them:


 ❋ 

The Secrets We Bury by Debra Webb has a lot of potential as a series opener. What initially caught my eye was the series title The Undertaker's Daughter and the fact that this is a suspenseful mystery. Plus, there's the part where the lead character grew up and now lives in the family funeral home. For some reason I had Prodigal Son, which is one of my favorite new shows, in the back of my mind while I was reading this. It's not quite like that in the ways it counts (at least for me) but the lead character was a profiler and there's a serial killer plot in this novel as well. While there's a lot to like here, it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I wasn't all that interested in any of the cast members and it wasn't nearly the page turner I was expecting. Overall, it's not a bad read in the least but just somewhat underwhelming in terms of what I was looking for.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ ❋ 

The Secrets We Bury didn't particularly impress me, but I'm glad I decided to stick with The Undertaker's Daughter series since the first book had quite a bit of potential. Luckily, The Lies We Tell tell begins to pick up the slack where the first left off. I began to get more invested in Rowan and the rest of the cast a little more this time which was a major issue for me in the first novel. I didn't feel quite as out of the loop as if I missed something this time either. I did like the creepiness of this story which really works with considering that the lead is an undertaker. My main issue is that the mystery isn't much of a mystery since it's fairly obvious that who did what. Overall, though, I did enjoy this sequel a little more and I'm looking forward to seeing where book three goes.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ ❋ 

The Darkness We Hide by Debra Webb is another case of being glad that I decided to stick with The Undertaker's Daughter series. I particularly enjoyed just how twisted this installment was, even I had to work to suspend my disbelief of some scenes a little more than I generally prefer to in a non fantasy or sci-fi story. I also enjoyed that we finally got some downright shocking family secrets out in play. My only complaint is that sometimes the writing can alternate between quite beautiful to somewhat uneven and choppy throughout the course of the novel. Overall, I'm glad I decided to pick this up. If you're interested in a suspenseful series, you may want to give this a series a try.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.



What have you been reading?  Do plan on trying any of these novels?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I just love it when a series gets better. Love these mini reviews😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mini reviews, Lauren! I like the premise of the series, but it sounds a bit underwhelming, and like maybe the author needed more rigorous editing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Very possibly - or I was just expecting more. :)

      Delete
  3. they all look like books i would want to read. thanks for sharing the great mini reviews. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows