Skip to main content

Sci-Fi Month 2022 - Sunday Funday: Week 1 Update

 
Happy Sunday Funday and welcome to my first weekly update for Sci-Fi Month 2022!  Sci-Fi Month is a month long celebration of all things sci-fi and it's hosted by Lisa @ Dear Geek Place and Imyril @ One More.  (Image credit: Artwork by Simon Fetscher).  So far, I'd say this year's Sci-Fi Month has gotten off to a pretty decent start.  I've already made progress on my tbr and I've started in on my watchlist as well.  Keep reading to see what I got up to since this monthly event began:

So far I've watched the first two episodes of Andor (2022) and I'm absolutely loving it so far.  Rogue One is one of my favorite newer Star Wars movies and I don't know why I put it off starting it for so long.  It's always good to see Diego Luna and it's marvelous to see where his character starts off before the events of the movie.  It's a little slow, but it has absolutely hooked me.  The biggest surprise of the show this series so far was realizing that Kyle Soller portrays Syril Karn.  I'm just so used to seeing him as Francis Poldark on Poldark, so this is quite a nice surprise to see him here.  I can't wait to watch the rest of this show.

 

 I really liked the 20-30 minutes of Orbiter 9 (2017), but not so much the rest of it. Orbiter 9 has a lot of potential, but it never managed to live up to it for me. Let's just say I was hoping for something like Stowaway or Oxygen, but this was not that.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


 

The premise of  Spiderhead (2022) is an interesting dystopian story, but in the end it just didn't quite live up to it's hook. It would have been much improved if it were perhaps 45 minutes to an hour in length. It's always good to see Chris Hemsworth though.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


What I Read This Week:

 ❋  

Ghosts of India (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #25) by Mark Morris is another good Doctor Who tie-in novel.  The Tenth Doctor and Donna are one of my favorite combinations of the series so it was great to see them in action here.  By the way, I know the American public school system isn't so good, but Donna doesn't even know about Gandhi?

My review is on Goodreads.


 ❋  

Upgrade by Blake Crouch s an engaging and fast-paced near-future sci-fi thriller that I really enjoyed reading.  Logan Ramsay and the events of the story bring up some fascinating topics for discussion that's for sure.  There were a few things that I wish it explored a little further, and a few things I thought it didn't need to go into quite as much.  I wouldn't say this novel is my favorite Blake Crouch novel, but it's still a great read.  I can't wait to see what Blake Crouch will write yet.

My review is also on Goodreads.


What have you been up to this past week?  Are you taking part in Sci-Fi Month this year?  Have you read any of these books?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below.

Comments

  1. I've seen Upgrade around a lot lately. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Upgrade earlier this year and it was good but I don't think I loved it as much as you did. I need to find time for Andor and I've got some genre books that have lingered on the TBR pile too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe we're already through the first week of SciFiMonth! I'm glad you enjoyed Upgrade. Not my favorite Crouch either, but still a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early