Skip to main content

The Liebster Award Pt. 3

I've been nominated for the Liebster Award for a third time and it blows my mind!  Thanks for that Emily @ Emily Etc.

Sime I've been nominated before and nominated others then, I'll believe I'll save myself a little bit of time and simply come up with the 11 facts and answer the 11 questions supplied by Emily.

First things first!  The 11 facts:

1. I felt like I hit the jackpot yesterday when I found a nickel under a gallon can of paint! 

2. At the recommendation of a coworker I just started watching a Spanish television show called Grand Hotel, if you like Downton Abbey you should seriously consider watching it!  Right now the first season (out of three) is available on Hulu with English subtitles for people like me who don't speak Spanish.

3. Recently purchased what I thought was a nice Halloween decoration only to discover it is now my cat's most hated enemy (even more so than the vacuum cleaner!).

4. I'm really glad I didn't live in 1935-1936 Toledo, Ohio because as a pedestrian I would have had slightly less than a 50% chance of making it home uninjured (or even still alive for that matter). According to the 1937 Toledo Traffic Planning Report, the odds wouldn't have been in my favor against automobiles.

5. The Playaway is my favorite audiobook format.

6. I don't own a smartphone.

7. My third generation iPod Nano is considered obsolete by today's standards.  So obsolete that if it were a phonograph it would require a crank to play music! But it still works, so that's what matters! 

8.  I shouldn't be trusted with a credit card in a bookstore.

9. I like big books and I cannot lie.

10.  I love taking long walks - if it isn't at least 5 miles, it's not a good walk.

11. My favorite radio station changed a few days ago and now plays a completely different type of music that I don't like.  


And now on to the questions:

1. Which book world would you live in, if you could never return?

These first two are such difficult questions, but I would love to live in Harry Potter's Wizarding World!

2. Which book world would you travel to for a week before returning?


I would love to travel (or live in!) to Middle-earth!  Or perhaps, I could just take a vacation to New Zealand...

3. What book have you been meaning to read forever but just not got round to?


Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson - I loved the first installment of the series, Full Blooded, so I really need to read the sequel which has been sitting on my shelf for a little while now.

4. What book did everyone else love, but you hated?


Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi -  I liked a couple parts of the premise but I couldn't get into the writing style or Juliette. And Warner - don't get me started.  I probably won't be returning to the series.

5. What book were you very sceptical about reading but actually loved?


 I was skeptical about reading Jeeves and the Wedding Bells by Sebastian Faulks - I love the original short stories and the tv show with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, so I was nervous to find out if he could successfully write the characters.  Turns out he could and he did it well!

6. Fictional crush?


I'm going to be consistent and say Atticus O'Sullivan from The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

7. Most perfect book ending?


I could go with quite a few here, but I'm going to mention a book that definitely deserves a lot of love and that's All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill.

8. What do you do when you're bored?


Earlier today I was feeling a little bored so I did an hour's worth of cardio...more likely though I will be reading!

9. When did you last cry, and why? (If you want to tell us!)


When I rewatched the series two finale of Doctor Who a couple of weeks ago - Rose! *sniff*

10. What's your happy song(s)?

Currently it's "The Walker" by Fitz and the Tantrums.

11. And finally, what's your sad song(s)?


"I Am Stretched On Your Grave" by Kate Rusby - I love this song and Rusby has an amazing voice, but it is a good song to feel sad to.


Thanks again for the nomination, Emily!


Comments

  1. Aah I love your facts/answers, especially fact #9 ;) Also fact #4. Where did you get that from??

    I've not read - or heard of - any of these books apart from (obvi) HP and LotR. I like the sound of All Our Yesterdays, though, because the ending of a book is so important! I'm not sure about Jeeves and the Wedding Bells though. I'm not a massive fan of authors publishing books "in the style" of other authors -- like Eoin Colfer's 'And Another Thing' (supposed last back in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series) or Joanna Trollope's new "modernisation" of Austen's work. I feel like it's just glorified fanfiction, and they should come up with their own idea without copying someone else's style. But that's just my opinion, though!

    Great answers, Lauren! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for fact #9, for work I found myself looking through the 1937 Traffic Planning Report for Toledo, Ohio and learned that disturbing statistic. :)

      All Our Yesterdays currently stands at the top of my favorite time travel books, so if you like Back to the Future or Doctor Who, you might love it!

      Usually I feel the same about authors releasing books in the style of another author, but I was really impressed with what Faulks did with Jeeves and Wooster. Maybe it's because I started watching the tv show before I started reading the short stories... :)

      Delete
  2. Jeez, I wish I did an hour worth of cardio when I was bored, haha! Do you take a book with you on these 5 mile long walks? If so, can I call you Lizzie Bennett? ;) I love it!

    And wow, that fact about Toledo. Ouch, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I'll put a Playaway audiobook or an audiobook on my antique iPod in my pocket so I can have something to listen to while I'm walking. And feel free! :D

      I nearly fell off my chair while working with that Traffic Planning Report when I got to the Accidents sections...!

      Delete
  3. LOL -- My kids say it's perfectly fine that I leave my iPod in plain view when I get out of the car since it's so old no one would even THINK of stealing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That would probably be the case with mine too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows