Skip to main content

Make Me Read It Readathon 2018 - Announcement & Poll


Welcome to my sign up post for the 2018 Make Me Read It Readathon, hosted by Ely @ Of Wonderland and Val @ The Innocent Smiley.  I took part in this readathon for the first time last year and I enjoyed the challenge so much that I just had to come back this year.  It begins midnight wherever you are on August 6th and goes through to August 13th.

Rules:
Look at the books you own, either physical, e-book or ones you've borrowed from the library and pick out a few you really want to read, or feel like you should read. It’s up to you how many you pick, personally I'd pick a few more than you expect to be able to read in a week. Example: if you think you’ll only read two, pick out five books or if you think you can read seven, pick out ten.

Make a list of these books on your blog, or make a video, or a Goodreads shelf or post a picture on Instagram—whatever is easiest for you. Then get friends, other bloggers/ booktubers/ bookstagrammers etc. to vote on which books you HAVE to read.

When the readathon comes along, you read the books in the order of most votes. For example, if one book gets 10 votes—you read that first, then the one that got 7 and so on. If there's a tie, then it's your preference. The goal is to read as many as possible.

The books I'm hoping to tackle this time around are all urban fantasy and most of them have been on my tbr for a little while now.  My fingers are crossed that I'll check many of them off my tbr!

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim #1) by Richard Kadrey - All I needed to here that this is for fans of H.P. Lovecraft, Christopher Moore, and Jim Butcher - that sounds like a great combination to me.

Midnight Riot (Peter Grant #1) by Ben Aaronovitch - This is also called Rivers of London and features a cop with London's Metropolitan Police who can speak with the lingering dead and crimes involving magic and manifestations of the uncanny.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) by Diana Rowland -  I can't say I've ever read a zombie book like this, but since iZombie is one of my favorite shows I think I need to try this series.

Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities #1) by Gail Z. Martin - I've been hoping to get to this author for awhile - and plus that cover has been done by Chris McGrath who is one of my favorites.  I mean, the figure on the left side is totally Cal Leandros from Moonshine!

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs - I've heard so many fantastic things about this series and I'm excited to start a new series featuring a coyote shapeshifter at the center.

Dirty Magic (Prospero's War #1) by Jaye Wells - A cop with magic powers, illegal street magic, and a Magic Enforcement Agency?  Sign me up!

Dead to Rites (Mick Oberon #3) by Ari Marmell - I haven't read any of the previous books in the series yet, but this sounds really cool.  Noir urban fantasy with a fae private eye?  Yes, please!

Working Stiff (Revivalist #1) by Rachel Caine - I love Caine's YA Great Library series and I'd like to try this series that sounds like it's for fans of Pushing Daisies and iZombie.

Day Shift (Midnight, Texas #2) by Charlaine Harris - I am hooked on the NBC tv adaptation called Midnight, Texas and while I wasn't quite as enthralled by book one in the series I can't wait to get back into the world before the tv series comes back for season two on October 26th.

Now it's your turn to decide what I'll be reading and in what order, so let's get to the poll!

The Poll:


What Should I Read Next?

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim #1) by Richard Kadrey
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant #1) by Ben Aaronovitch
My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) by Diana Rowland
Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities #1) by Gail Z. Martin
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs
Dirty Magic (Prospero's War #1) by Jaye Wells
Dead to Rites (Mick Oberon #3) by Ari Marmell
Working Stiff (Revivalist #1) by Rachel Caine
Day Shift (Midnight, Texas #2) by Charlaine Harris
Created with PollMaker

Thanks for voting everyone!  I'm looking forward to seeing what I'll be reading during the readathon!  As always thanks for visiting my blog!

Comments

  1. Voted! I’m doing this readathon, too. Good luck with it!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for Moon Called! I almost did My Life as a White Trash Zombie because of the title though, haha! Good luck with the readathon Lauren. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I voted for Dirty Magic but I don't think it is going to win but it sounds really interesting. I hope you enjoy whichever one wins. Best of luck!

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted for Moon Called, because Mercy Thompson is the Bronze medalist in my UF podium; Silver goes to Kate Daniels, and Gold to October Daye ;)

    I hope you have fun with the books you get to read during this readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted for My Life as a White Trash Zombie as I've heard great things about it. Zombie books are not books I gravitate towards, but I must admit that this one sounds great. I'm thinking of getting the audio version from Audible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moon called! I've only read the first two books in that series but my cousin loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I voted for Midnight Riot although I almost picked Deadly Curiosities or Dirty Magic. They all look promising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why Moon Called is winning but I loved the Midnight Texas books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I chose Dirty Magic!! It sounds so interesting. It was between that and Moon Called, so I am not surprised Moon Called is winning! Good luck reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Working Stiff is on my TBR, so I voted for that one. Whatever you decide to read, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Mercy Thompson series (Moon Called) is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I voted for My Life as a White Trash Zombie. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I voted for Moon Called because I've been meaning to read that one for years. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just loved the title of My Life as a White Trash Zombie so it got my vote! Best of luck with the readathon!

    My #MakeMeRead Poll!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the poll idea! That's so cool. I really enjoy the Mercy Thompson books. It looks like that's winning now. Woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed - I can't wait to try it either way! Thanks for coming over, Jackie!

      Delete
  16. I've been seeing videos for the Booktubeathon, and also this on a couple of blogs. If I'd known about it sooner I may have joined one of them. Oh, well! There's always next time, right!? :)

    Best of luck, Lauren. Hope you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Voted! Good luck with the readathon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Peter Grant/ Rivers of London books. I voted for that 😊

    ReplyDelete
  19. I voted for Dirty Magic. I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed. Hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not participating this year, but I love seeing everyone's lists (and of course, voting!). I picked Working Stiff because I liked the cover and I would love to know what you think about Caine's adult writing!

    Tessa @ Crazy for YA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early