Skip to main content

May The Force Read With You Readathon - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Thursday everyone!  Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for the May The Force Read With You Readathon.  It ran the entire month of May and was hosted by Erik @ BreakEven Books, and cohosted by NoelleSteff, and Max.  I didn't end up reading through my original tbr in order, but I still managed 6 of the 7 books and I suppose that makes me a Jedi Master with two Allies.  Anyway, keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read for this challenge:  


 ❋  

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next #2) by Jasper Fforde wasn't as good as the first book in the series but still a lot of fun.  Honestly, that would have been a massively huge order considering just how epic that was.  Either way, though, it's quite imaginative and creative.  It's not too often a story features Cardenio so that was really cool to see as well. I'm really looking forward to book three.

My review is also on Goodreads.


DNF'd @ p. 53

The Turning (Blood Ties #1) by Jennifer Armentrout sounded like it had potential as a new to me urban fantasy and vampire story. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me. Carrie's voice and the overall style were just too grating. The further I got into the book, the less interested I was in continuing and I've decided I'm moving on to other things.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4) by George R.R. Martin is my least favorite installment of this series, but all things considered the previous installment set the bar incredibly high.  I think part of my issues with it are that it splits the action geographically.  That means we don't get to see a lot of great characters in this book.  My favorites who appear in this one are Brienne, Jamie, and Samwell.  If anything else happens to Brienne... I'll be really upset.  Since I know she won't appear in the next book, I don't know how I'm supposed to wait for the future sixth installment.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 

Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) by Anne Bishop sounded like it would have been perfect for me.  I'm a fan of Bishop's style and I usually always enjoy dark high fantasy, and while this was good I always felt somewhat lost.  I just felt a little too out of the loop - I don't know if I missed something important or not, but I just never quite caught up after getting dropped directly into this whole new world.  I don't know if I'll be back again for the rest of the series.  I might just stick with The Others series instead.

My review is also on Goodreads.


  

Thieftaker (Thieftaker Chronicles #1) by D.B. Jackson was a really solid historical fantasy novel set just before the American Revolution.  Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres, but this is the first time I've seen one set during this time period and I really enjoyed getting to know more of the world Ethan Kaille inhabits from what we know to the more fantastic.  Overall, I think this is going to be one of those series that just gets better with time.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 

I didn't really have any expectations for Empires of the Indus: The Story of a River by Alice Albinia, but I thought this was going to be a history book.  Instead it's a travelogue that tries to throw in a side of personal opinion doubling as anthropology. In the end, it just wasn't my style.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this Star Wars themed readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I need to start A Song of Ice and Fire one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Jewels *is* a bit melodramatic, so of course you can lose your patience and then Jaenelle just seems to be taking forever to grow up... The problem is also that you have to wait till the second half of Book 2 for things to get really interesting. And then it is in Book 3 that Jaenelle comes into her power as Queen of Hell. I guess the question is whether you can invest so much time into it? 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag