Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Mystery/ Horror/ Thriller Announcement & TBR


Hello and happy Saturday everyone!  Today I'm sharing my plans for my third round of the Trope-ical Readathon which is hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  It will run the entire month of March and I'm joining Team Mystery/ Horror/ Thriller this time around. 

Like before, there are fifteen total challenges to complete - two team challenges and thirteen common challenges (you either read a book that fits the given trope or one that fits the alternate prompt).  Each team also has two Team Book options to read as well.  For each challenge you complete, team book you read, and each page you read, you earn points for your team  You can also follow the official Trope-ical Readathon on Twitter and with the hashtag #TropeicalReadathon.  Without further ado, let's get to my tbr: 

Team Book:

My choice: The Verifiers by Jane Pek - I hadn't heard of this before I saw it as one of the team book options, but this February 22nd, 2022 release sounds like it will be fantastic.

 Team Challenges:

1. Read a book featuring "found footage/ artifacts" trope

My choice: Carrie by Stephen King - I've read a lot of Stephen King, but somehow I've missed this one and it's more than time I change that.

2. Read a book centered around spies

My choice: King of Spies: The Dark Reign of America's Spymaster in Korea by Blaine Harden - This is a nonfiction history book, but I'd still say it fits the thriller part of the team category.  One of my friends gave me this book and it sounds like it will be quite a read.

Common Challenges:

1. Absent/ Dead Parent(s) or a book with more than one author

My choice: OtherEarth (Last Reality #2) by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller - It's been a while since I've read the first book in this series, but I remember that it was pretty good and it reminded me of Westworld meets Ready Player One.

2. Love Triangle or followers/ friends choose between two books

My choice: The Thing at the Foot of the Bed and Other Scary Tales by Maria Leach - This one made the cut for this option.  A friend gave me a copy of this not too long ago and it looks like fun.

3. Bookish Themes or a predicted 5 star read

My choice: The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix - This author is one of my favorites and I can't wait to try this one!

4. Platonic Partnership or a buddy read

My choice: Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli - I've heard that this novel features a great friendship.  I've been eyeing this at my library for a while and I have no idea why I've been putting it off for so long.

5. Food Themed or a "meaty" book (over 500 pages)

My choice: Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War by Mark Harris - I found this ages ago at a library book sale and it sounds like a fascinating history book.

6. Blast From The Past or a book published before 2000

My choice: The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton - I just started in on this series not too long ago and it was a fun urban fantasy series opener.  This sequel was released in 1994 (and the first book in 1993) and I have a feeling it probably won't seem like it either.

7. Mixed Media or an audiobook book or ebook

My choice: Bats of the Republic: An Illuminated Novel by Zachary Thomas Dodson - I found this a Goodwill a little while ago and it looks really cool historical sci-fi mixed media novel.

8. (Post) Apocalyptic or a comfort read

My choice: Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan - Every book by Riordan has been a comfort read, so I fully expect this will be as well.

9. Found Family or a book in a series 

My choice: The Nightmare Begins (The Survivalist #2) by Jerry Ahern - I found a bunch of books in this series at a library book sale over last summer and I've got to work my way through these post apocalyptic adventure novels.  Yes, book one totally read like an especially manly Chuck Norris movie, but I didn't expect anything else.

10. Morally Gray/ Anti-Hero or a previously DNF'd book

My choice: Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters #2) by Rebecca Schaeffer - I loved the first book in this series and it's high time I try the sequel in this dark and morally gray series.

11. Multiple POV or multiple POC characters

My choice: The Initial Insult (The Initial Insult #1) by Mindy McGinnis - McGinnis has quickly become one of my favorite authors and I can't wait to try this series opener.

12. The New Kid In Town or a genre you don't usually read

My choice: Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende - I don't read a lot of historical fiction that doesn't have fantasy, sci-fi, or horror elements, but I've heard this is a must read.

13. Retelling or a book with a TV or movie adaptation

My choice: Marley by Jon Clinch - Yep, that Marley.  It's a retelling of A Christmas Carol from Marley's perspective instead of Scrooge's. 


Are you taking part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  What one should I read first?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I've heard very good things about that Hendrix book. And I'm also interested in The Thing at the Foot of the Bed, that cover and title are all kinds of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy The Final Girl Support Group, it was a lot of fun😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Carrie years ago when I found it I was named after it but I've not read it since. I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh! I can't believe I waited so long to read it myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads