Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Fantasy - August 2022 Round Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 

Hello everyone!  Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for the August 2022 round of the Trope-ical Readathon which is hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  It ran for the entire month of August and I was on Team Fantasy.

There were fifteen total challenges to complete - two team challenges and thirteen common challenges.  Each team also had two choices for your Team Book read as well.  I completed 12 total books for a grand total of 4,527 points.  You can check out my original TBR here.  Without further ado, let's get to my thoughts on the book I completed: 

Team Book:

 ❋   

Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger is really cool and I can't wait to read more from this author in the future.  My favorite aspect of this novel is easily the world-building - and the representation is also a standout.  I would love to revisit the world sometime in the future.  The hype surrounding this book is very well deserved.  I don't know about you, but this really reminded me of The Others series by Anne Bishop.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Team Challenges:

1. Read a book with a pre-modern-inspired setting.

 ❋   
I was really looking forward to reading Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen.  I can officially say that Jennifer A. Nielsen never disappoints.  Her characters and her worlds are always great.  I think this could be another totally favorite series.  I can't wait to read Rise of the Wolf.

My review is also on Goodreads.

2. Read a book featuring the "Dwindling Magic" trope.

 ❋   

The Truth (Discworld #25) by Terry Pratchett is a whole lot of fun, but I don't think I would consider it a favorite of the series.  Then again it has some tough competition.  No matter what though it's always good to visit Ankh-Morpork and get to see so many familiar faces.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Common Challenges:

1. Absent/ Dead Parent(s) or A Book With More Than One Author

 ❋  
The Civilsation of the Crowd: Popular Culture in England 1750-1900 by J.M. Golby and A.W. Purdue is much more fascinating than I than I was initially expecting.  It is dry at times and it definitely reads like a textbook, but it's worth reading if you can find it.

My review is also on Goodreads.

3. The New Kid In Town or A Genre You Don't Usually Read 

DNF'd @ p. 35

I was so bored that I just couldn't keep going with The Sixth Wife (Tudor Saga #7) by Jean Plaidy.

My review is also on Goodreads.


4. Dark Academia or A Borrowed Book

 ❋ 

The Last Wife of Henry VIII (Wives of Henry VIII) by Carolly Erickson  was definitely more accessible and interesting than The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy, but I wouldn't exactly call it exciting or a must read.

My review is also on Goodreads.


6. Blast From The Past or A Book Published Before 2000

 ❋  
Slugs (Slugs #1) by Shaun Hutson  is completely ridiculous, but you know I couldn't put it down. Let's just say that it is *very* '80s horror and it's also very visual. My two main questions regarding the story: 1. Why didn't they use salt? & 2. Why didn't they just run away from the slow moving slugs before they had a chance to eat anyone? Finally, I just wanted to say that I just found out that there was a movie adaptation of this made in 1988 and it's currently on YouTube. I can say that I watched it shortly after finishing this and it is just as deranged!

My review is also on Goodreads.


7. Mixed Media or An Audiobook Or An Ebook

 ❋  
Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends #1) by Kelley Armstrong started off pretty well, but unfortunately it's way too long and started to lose me half way through. It's still a solid read, but just not quite what I was hoping for.  I don't think I'll be back for the sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


9. Found Family or A Book In A Series

 ❋  
This series has been a lot of urban fantasy fun.  I don't know why I put it off for so long, but this installment, Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #3) by Laurell K. Hamilton, was no different.  It was quite a ride, that's for sure, and that ending was something else!  I can't wait to read book four in this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


10. Celebrity or Recommended By A Celebrity

 
The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon A Con #2) by Ashley Poston was a book that I was really looking forward to.  After all the other two books in this series were very cute.  This one though was just plain grating.

My review is also on Goodreads.


11. Multiple POV or Multiple POC Characters 

 ❋  
You'll Be the Death of Me by Karen M. McManus is another solid mystery thriller.  McManus can always be counted on for a good mystery that is sure to grab your attention and keep you hooked.  Her twists and turns are always top notch.  I can't wait to see what she writes next.

My review is also on Goodreads.


12. Bookish Themes or Pun In The Title

 
Of Books and Bagpipes (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #2) by Paige Shelton definitely had a better than the first book, but I still think I preferred listening to the audiobook format The narrator had a pretty good voice for it - and it was good to hear the accents.  Anyway, I don't think I'll be continuing this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?   As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows