Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Horror Books I've Read Since Last Halloween

   

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday which is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is Bookish Jobs I Would Do For Free (Real or Imaginary) (Submitted by Susan @ Bloggin’ bout Books), but I decided to do something completely different instead and feature my Favorite Horror Books I've Read Since Last Halloween.  Without further ado, here we go in alphabetical order by title:

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White - Honestly, this was everything I was looking for in a Frankenstein retelling! I highly recommend listening to the audiobook which was narrated by Katharine McEwan.

The Good House by Tananarive Due - I had never read anything from this author before this so I didn't really have any expectations, but it ended up being a favorite.  I need to read everything from her asap!

The Hacienda by Isabel Cañas - I'd say this is in my top ten reads of 2023.  I can't wait to read Vampires of El Norte!

Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak - I just happened to stumble upon the audiobook on Libby and I'm so glad I did.  I really enjoyed the author's style, so I hope he does more like this in the future.

The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher - This author has very quickly become one of my favorites and although I've really enjoyed all of her books this one is not at the top of my list.  It's also one of my favorite reads of 2023 too.

How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix - Grady Hendrix has also quickly become a favorite author and this is easily my favorite from him.  This is also one of my favorite reads of 2023.

Nightbooks by J.A. White - I watched the movie adaptation of this on Netflix before reading this original novel and I adored it.  I'll say that the movie absolutely did the novel justice and I recommend both of them.

She is a Haunting by Trang Thanh Tran - This was a great YA debut.  If you're looking for a slow-burn gothic haunted house story, you can't miss it.

The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher - I'd say this was my favorite before I read The Hollow Places.  If you like the style of Grady Hendrix, you have to read this.

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore #1) by Aaron Mahnke - Lore is one of my favorite podcasts to listen to so I had to read this book.  I loved that it felt just like listening to the podcast.  I'll have to read more of the books soon.


Have you read any of these books?  What have been some of your favorite horror reads?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I read Kiersten's novel years ago. I don't remember much however, I do think I liked it more than I thought. Plus it's a great read for this time of year, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get freaked out by horror books, but How To Sell A Haunted House is one I've wanted to read for a while!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/10/10/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-jobs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's outstanding. I hope it doesn't freak you out too much. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved The Hacienda by Isabel Cañas and am #12 in line for Vampires of El Norte.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of horror but I want to read Night Books. I didn't know they made it into a film! I'm glad to know they're both good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIGHT BOOKS looks and sounds excellent. I hadn't heard of it before, but it's definitely on my radar now. Thanks for the heads-up!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, timely list to share! I don't read horror, but I will keep these in mind to recommend to others who do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several of these are on my list- The Hacienda, Hollow Places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read The Good House. I once checked out the audiobook but it was too long for me at time. Did you read it or listen to it if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it in print myself. :) I hope you enjoy it, Alicia.

      Delete
  9. I've read both Kingfisher books and loved them. Such a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, I have been reading a lot of T Kingfisher books lately and am mad at myself that it took me so long! I have The Hollow Places, but now I need The Twisted Ones in my life, too! I LOVED Vampires of El Norte, so I definitely need to read The Hacienda ASAP! I am sad that I didn't like Elizabeth Frankenstein as much as everyone else- and it's extra weird because I love the author's other books! Maybe it just caught me on an off day, who knows! Great list, thanks for putting some of these on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for coming over, Shannon! I hope you love The Twisted Ones. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows