Skip to main content

Halloween Reads - My October 2023 Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

  

Happy Halloween everyone!  Today, I'm sharing my wrap up and mini review for my Halloween Reads 2023.  I read a bunch of spooky things this month and of my original tbr I made my way through eight books, which I'd say is really great! Without further ado, read on to see my thoughts on them:

 ❋ 

Blood Riders by Michael P. Spradlin has a cool concept but it kind of doesn't take advantage of it to the fullest.  Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and the western is the genre I absolutely want to read more of, especially of the horror variety.  Even though I wish this went a slightly different route with the vampire storyline, I still appreciated just how scary they are in the story.  My favorite part of this was seeing Van Helsing here - that was just cool.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
Daphne by Josh Malerman is a solid read if you're looking for something creepy.  I really enjoyed the ghostly and vengeful spirit aspects and how much it reminded me of Blood Mary.  It's been awhile since I've even thought about that urban legend.  I will also say that I'm not really much of a sports person, but I will say how this features basketball is quite intense.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 

Dead Eleven by Jimmy Juliano has a great hook and it sounds great on paper, but it didn't quite work for me as well as I was hoping it would.  There are a few too many perspectives to keep track of as well.  Personally, I think I would have preferred this story in the audiobook format more than I did the print edition.  I think that would have really done the style justice.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

From Below by Darcy Coates is a book I really enjoyed. I've been told I need to read this author so many times and I'm glad I did.  This story is so atmospheric and claustrophobic you can practically taste it.   If you're a fan of The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling, Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes, Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie, or the Netflix series 1899, I have a feeling you'll enjoy this book. I have to read more from this author soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ 

The Girl in the Corn by Jason Offutt sounded intriguing especially with the Norse mythology tie-in, but it just didn't work for me.  Honestly, I think I preferred the idea of this more than the final product.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

A House with Good Bones by T. Kingfisher happened to be one of my most anticipated reads and luckily it was excellent.  This author has quickly become one of my favorites and a total must read.  This new novel is a creepy and an atmospheric read with a dash of humor that is perfect for the Halloween season.  While I wouldn't quite say this is my favorite from her, I still couldn't put it down and the characters are my favorite.  Everyone is so well drawn here from Sam herself to the side characters, like Phil and Gail.  I don't want to give anything away, but I'll never look at roses the same way again!

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

The Only One Left by Riley Sager was easily one of my most highly anticipated reads of the year and luckily it was pretty outstanding.  I've really enjoyed all of this author's tings for the most part and this was no exception.  It had me hooked and I was on the edge of my seat trying to unravel the mystery.  I loved the Lizzie Borden meets Whatever Happened to Baby Jane combination.  My only gripe about this is that it's just a touch too long for me, but overall it's well worth the read.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ 

What Big Teeth by Rose Szabo  sounded like it was going to be right up my alley.  Unfortunately, it was more underwhelming and frustrating than anything else.  Also it doesn't help that the beginning is way too confusing.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  What did you read for the spooky season?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I love Darcy Coates but I haven't read From Below yet. I also need to read The Only One Left😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads