Skip to main content

2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #1

 

Happy Monday everyone and welcome to my first 2024 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!   In January, I completed 8 books out of a total 50 books. So far I've made great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read in January:

 ❋ ❋ 
One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon by Charles Fishman is a fascinating history book and it's also incredibly accessible.  I'm especially interested in this time period and part of history, so I've been eyeing this for quite some time.  I'm glad I finally decided to read it because the author did a great job of laying things out.  I love that it gives the reader a broad look at not only the events themselves, but the wider context as well.  The only aspect I wasn't as much of a fan of that the author does go into statistics and numbers, some of which could have used greater clarification at some points.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
Her Majesty's Royal Coven (Her Majesty's Royal Coven #1) by Juno Dawson was pretty cool. I think I'd like to read a WWII set book in this world. I mean, Bletchley Park oracles and resistance fighters? That sounds even cooler than this present day set urban fantasy, if you ask me.  No matter what though I think I'll have to read the rest of this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  
Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay is a must read. I honestly should have read this years ago. I especially appreciated how the story wrapped up. I'm going to have to read more from Randy Ribay in the future.  It's not often that I have the chance to read about Filipino culture and books set in the Philippines, so I think I'll have to add more to my reading list.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
A Psalm for the Wild-Built (Monk and Robot #1) by Becky Chambers is another great series opener from one of my favorite authors.  While it's not one of my favorites, it's just plain nice to read another Becky Chambers story.  The world is fascinating, but the characters make the story.  It goes by so quickly and I'd even consider it cozy.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  
A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk and Robot #2) by Becky Chambers was absolutely brilliant.  I'm so glad I read this immediately after its predecessor.  I was surprised by just how much more I loved this installment of this novella series.  Like I said about book one, this was just plain nice  and cozy.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ ❋ 
The Ferryman by Justin Cronin was a bit different than what I was expecting but I loved where it went.  Even thought it's quite long, it didn't feel like it at all and I practically flew through it.  I highly recommend this one to fans of Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.  I'm going to have to get caught up on this author's works soon - I'd almost forgotten how much I like his style.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
Home Field Advantage by Dahlia Adler is a great YA contemporary.  Sports aren't really my thing, but I'm glad I decided to stick around for the characters.  I was also pleasantly surprised by the fact that the story gets a little more heavy than I was expecting it too.  If you liked Cool For The Summer, you'll have to try this one too.

My review is also on Goodreads.





 ❋ ❋ 
You know what?  I Knead My Mommy: and Other Poems by Kittens by Francesco Marciuliano was cute as heck!  The poems are fun, but the itty bitty kitty pictures are just the best.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. This makes me want to pick up Patron Saints of Nothing. It's been on TBR for ages now. I must pick up Becky Chambers. Great start to this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've started out so strong with this challenge! I'm glad you enjoyed The Ferryman, it was pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With