Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginning): Akata Witch (Akata Witch #1) by Nnedi Okorafor + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current Winter Bookish Bingo reads (it will fulfill the author of color square), Akata Witch (Akata Witch #1) by Nnedi Okorafor.  I loved getting to know Okorafor's style in Who Fears Death and I'm loving this YA fantasy series opener.  

Beginning:

I've always been fascinated by candles.  Looking into the flame calms me down.

56:

"What's wrong with that guy?" She went to lean against a nearby tree, feeling nauseous, tired, and irritable.  Not a good combination.

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Reads of 2018


Best - Nothing But Sky by Amy Trueblood - This is always such a difficult decision, but this year I'm focusing on my favorite 2018 YA Debut novel.  I couldn't have asked for anything better from this historical fiction about a barnstorming team.


Worst - Wink, Poppy, Midnight by April Genevieve Tulcholke - I'd seen a lot of middling to negative reviews for this, but I honestly didn't expect it to be quite so irritating - the characters really got on my nerves.  At least the cover design is outstanding.  This may not be the worst, but it was the most annoying anyway!

Comments

  1. Nothing But Sky is on my list. I can't wait to read it!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Okorafor book I need to read! I'd love to catch up with this one, and also Who Fears Death😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okorafor is a fantastic writer and I hope you get to read her soon!

      Delete
  3. I'm so intrigued by your book. I like the whimsical cover too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'd say the cover really fits it. I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Sounds tempting. I am drawn to the hypnotic spell of candles, too. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THOSE OTHER WOMEN”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cover makes it look like a fun read. I too am fascinated by flames. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Wink Poppy Midnight but don't think I got more than a few pages read before I decided to donate it. This week I am spotlighting The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to get my hands on a copy of Nothing But Sky! I just finished rereading Sherry D. Ficklin's Stolen Empire series and I'm now newly obsessed with any and all historical fiction. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also interested in early aviation and that really bumped it up for me. :)

      Delete
  8. I hate when a book isn't just meh but irritating as well. I like the beginning of this one quite a bit! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Reading. I like the opening. I can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo--Bookish Bingo! Off to check out the link! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that beginning- definitely makes me curious right at the outset.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Akata Witch on my shelf, but haven't gotten to it yet. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it up and I think it's a new favorite. :)

      Delete
  13. Akata Witch is a book I've really been wanting to read. I've heard such great things about it. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Akata Witch sounds like a really good fantasy!Need to ad it to my GR! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help pique your interest. Thanks for coming over.

      Delete
  15. Totally love your book beginning. Candles do have habit of calming when you stare at them.

    It's a shame about Wink, Poppy, Midnight by April Genevieve Tulcholke - the cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge