Skip to main content

Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2022 - November Update: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand & Aru Shah and the End of Time

Happy Saturday everyone!  I hope everyone's been doing well.  I can't believe it's already the beginning of December.  Anyway, I've now completed the 22 tasks of Book Riot's 2022 Read Harder Challenge.  The tasks I completed this month required me to read a romance where at least one of the protagonists is over 40 and an adventure story by a BIPOC author and I selected Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava #1) by Roshani Chokshi respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's coming up for December:

 ❋ ❋ 
The entire time I was listening to the audiobook edition of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson I couldn't help but be reminded of A Man Called Ove.  Honestly, I definitely preferred A Man Called Ove over this.  This was a solid read, but it just wasn't quite my sort of thing and it never hooked me as much as I wish it did.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  ❋ 
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava #1) by Roshani Chokshi has quickly become a favorite Middle Grade novel.  Before reading this, I haven't had the best experience with this author's works but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I absolutely loved this. As a fan of Percy Jackson and Tristan Strong, this is an absolute must read.  Plus, I highly recommend the audiobook edition as the production is marvelous.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For December:

Read a political thriller by a marginalized author (BIPOC, or LGBTQIA+).

My choice: While Justice Sleeps by Stacey Abrams I had no idea Stacey Abrams wrote fiction before now.

Read a book recommended by a friend with different reading tastes.

My choice: The Deepest South of All: True Stories From Natchez, Mississippi by Richard Grant - One of my friends reads a lot more historical fiction, nonfiction, and history than I do and she recommended this one.  I know next to nothing about the town but I'll be learning, won't I?


Have you read any of these books or are you taking part in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Stacey Abrams also used to write romance under the pen name of Selena Montgomery! I'd like to read her While Justice Sleeps too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag