Skip to main content

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka - Review


❋ ❋  

Keiji Kiriya, a newly recruited Jacket pilot for the UDF, dies on the battlefield during his first battle with the alien Mimics. Next thing he knows he's getting reborn over and over to fight and die. On his 158th iteration, however, he notices something different involving Rita Vrataski. Is she somehow the key to getting out of the loop, or his final death?

Mostly, I picked up this book because I enjoyed the movie, Edge of Tomorrow, starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. If you haven't watched the movie yet, what are you waiting for? Obviously going in, I knew there would be differences between the book and the movie. The greatest difference is between Keiji Kiriya and his movie counterpart, Major William Cage. Kiriya is young and wants to fight, whereas Cage desperately doesn't want to see battle. Rita is also a bit different in the novel - she's young and was good at killing Mimics even before she had the ability to reset the day. I was surprised to see how the Mimics were described in the book, like bloated frogs, versus the movie, where they were tentacle-ly and very fast.

Either way, I enjoyed both iterations of this story, but I actually think I enjoyed the movie a little more - Emily Blunt's performance is excellent.




I read this novel from July 29 - 30, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to watch the movie since it came out but haven't had the chance! Didn't even know there was a book it was based on, very cool. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is a gem! I had no idea that it was based on a book until after I watched it.

      Thanks very much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early