Skip to main content

Crooked by Austin Grossman - Review


❋ ❋ 

Richard Nixon's political career spanned from the 1950's to the 1970's. He went from a mastermind to a national joke. What if the man we call the nation's worst president is actually one of our greatest? In this alternate history, a young Nixon stumbled upon a supernatural secret and its ties to world politics ranging from the truth behind the Cold War to the Watergate cover-up.

Grossman put a good deal of effort into crafting Crooked by basing it in what we know to be historical fact peppered with Nixon's account of the "real" truth that he had to deal with throughout his career. As much as I enjoyed the supernatural aspects, I do wish there would have been a better explanation of it and how it worked. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more featuring other previous presidents and the supernatural threats they faced as well. Now that I mention it, I would have like to have seen more of the supernatural.

Overall, this is a well-written story featuring prominent historical characters and events with a unique twist, but it left me feeling that too many questions had been left unanswered. Now, if only there was a companion novel featuring an earlier president to help fill in some of the supernatural gaps - Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, or George Washington perhaps?


I read this novel from August 17 - 19, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early