Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Crooked by Austin Grossman


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my next read, Crooked by Austin Grossman.  I've been hearing a good deal about this one lately and I've always enjoyed alternate history, especially if there is a paranormal twist.  I put myself on hold for it at the library last week and it already came in - lucky me!  I can officially saw that these snippets give me hope for this alternate history novel. 

Book Beginning:

June 1972

The oval office always smelled of cigarette smoke, of medical disinfectant and a faint undercurrent of sage.  I just hope no one ever puts the great seal under a black light.  Near the end, we had to steam-clean it after each new moon.

56:

"What happened there?  How did you know he was going to..." I made a gun out of one hand.  Thinking back, he'd reacted impossibly fast.

Comments

  1. Oooh! I haven't heard much about this, but I also enjoy alternate reality, and that intro is gross, yet intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet my husband would be interested in this book. I will look around for it.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me start thinking of all that could have happened in that room. LOL Ewwww.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...for this story's purposes it's probably supposed to be something paranormal. :D

      Delete
  4. Lol! This sounds crazy and funny!! Might rec this myself later this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sound so tempting...and I love that creepy cover! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alternate history has always intrigued me but I haven't heard of this one. I might need to look into it some more.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good and is totally new to me. I hope you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey which has been living on TBR mountain forever. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover for this one is super eye-catching. The quote's, too. I think it's safe to say I will be checking this one out in the near future.

    My f56: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/friday-56-rook.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it is good.

    The cover is a little disturbing. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. So will that hand gun shoot? I love that cover. Too clever. This could be fun.

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/08/14/the-friday-56-73-the-haunting-of-gillespie-house/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alternate history is always so interesting, I love to see how an author reimagines the world. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not think I have ever tried an alternative history book before I will have to change that. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! I'm intrigued. As if an alternative history weren't enough, there's some paranormal too ... this must be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an interesting BB :) I hope you enjoyed it :D
    Have a great week,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early