Skip to main content

Sister Mischief by Laura Goode


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Esme, Rowie, Tess, and Marcy shake up the status quo at their conservative Holyhill, Minnesota Christian high school when they form a hip-hop appreciation group/gay-straight alliance.

I'm not much of a fan of hip-hop or rap music, but I totally appreciated how far these girls were willing to go for the topics they're passionate about. For me, it was all about the characters. If you like character-driven novels, this one is definitely for you. The four girls hold this novel together and each has a major part in the story and our narrator, Esme, is one of the best I've read in a long time. The cast of characters, especially Esme, all feel like they could walk right off of the page because they are quite fully realized. The dialog is real, provocative, heartfelt, and thought-provoking.

Sister Mischief by Laura Goode is well worth your time even if you're not particularly a fan of hip-hop.


I read this novel from August 2 - 3, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early