Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Fold by Peter Clines


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my next read, The Fold by Peter Clines.  I'm extremely excited to read this one and I really lucked out because I was somehow the first person to get my hands on it when it came in at the library!  Both of these two snippets are really interesting and beg me to read more.  I want to know what's going on.  


Book Beginnings:

"I just don't think it's that good," said Denise.  "It doesn't do anything for me."

Becky bit back a smile, even though Denise couldn't see it over the phone.  They'd had this conversation every other week for two months now.  It still made for a good distraction, though, and helped fill up the time until Ben got home.

It always worried her a bit when Ben was away.  Ben was in charge of high-security projects.  Mostly weapons.  Often in high-risk areas.

56:

Arthur smirked and nodded.  "Back to Site B, Olaf."

"What?  Are you joking?"

"Come on," said Jamie into her headset.  "Play nice for the guest."

"This is ridiculous!"  Olaf snarled up at the booth.  "I have things to do."

Comments

  1. Sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it. My 56 this week comes from No Mercy by Lori Armstrong - a gritty mystery set in South Dakota. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I request a book from the library and I get it first. Have fun with this one.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. The intro makes me want to know more about the characters...I'm wondering where the story is headed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I can't wait to dive into this one. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. This is sounds very interesting. I love the book beginning. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting. I like the 56. I can definitely sympathize with Olaf trying to get things done and getting pulled around. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what "doesn't do anything" for Denise. A book? I wanted to find out more. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually read The Fold and I really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover art; it's great! I like that there's lots of characters, especially the name Olaf. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For some reason, I bet I'll have Count Olaf in the back of mind for that character... :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Lauren,

    The one genre that I just don't seem to be able to read, is science fiction, despite the intrguing nature of that very first line and the clever cover art!

    Whilst I am a firm believer in the many benefits of a library service, I haven't actually been inside one for years, let alone have membership of my own local library.

    I can only remember, from my youth, the terrible condition of some of the books on the shelves, so to have a pristine copy of a book, good enough almost for sale in the bookshop, must be a real treat and one which I wish you are enjoying reading :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sci-fi and fantasy are two of my favorite genres - even better if they have great cover art.

      I think I have cards for most of the libraries within a fifty mile radius, even though I do love out right buying books. I can't imagine not having been in my local libraries. It even seems like when I'm on vacation I'm checking out the libraries just to see what they're like! :)

      If they weren't in great condition, though, they were probably loved. But yes I love being the first person to get their hands on a library item!

      Thanks, Yvonne. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm always excited to be the first to get my hands on a new library book, but then I walk around very cautiously with it because I don't want to be the first person to damage it either. Haha, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the BB. Trying not to smile even though someone can't see is something I do. It's like I don't want them to hear the smile in me voice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting cover and lucky you to be the first to get the library copy. :-) Have a great weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover.

    ENJOY the book and your reading weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the feeling of being the first to snag a book from the library. The cover calls to me I will have to watch for this one. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early