Skip to main content

The Fold by Peter Clines - Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

Mike Erikson, a small town high school teacher with an off-the-chart IQ and an eidetic memory, is talked into investigating a secretive DARPA invention called the Albuquerque Door by a friend in high places. This Door uses a mysterious computer equation and magnetic fields to fold dimensions making it possible for travelers to cross hundreds of feet in one step. The scientists behind the Door are adamant that travelling through it is perfectly harmless, although one person who went through had a seemingly unrelated breakdown a short while after travelling. They've been working on this project for years and need more funding to continue to refine this invention which they know will change everything, even though they haven't produced any hard evidence that it actually works aside from their word. Mike's friend wants the project to continue, but he feels that something about the project is wrong and that's where Mike comes into it. Mike will go to the lab to see what's what and report back with his findings. The longer Mike is amongst the team of scientists the more he becomes convinced that something is most definitely off.

The Fold by Peter Clines is a fun blend of mind-bending sci-fi, pop-culture references, and just the right amount of humor. This novel hooked me right from the opening chapter and reeled me in for quite a ride. I enjoyed getting to know Mike - plus his ants - and he nearly gives Sherlock Holmes a run for his money with his set of skills. Each of the scientists are also well-developed with unique voices.

In the long run, I found myself most interested in the descriptions of the Door itself. I liked getting to know how it works and what it does. I was fascinated by all of the possibilities it presents. I had an inkling of what was happening from relatively early on, but I still enjoyed watching Mike piece everything together and, of course, seeing how much I guessed correctly. I don't know if there will be a sequel or not, but I enjoyed what the author did with the ending by leaving an opening for a potential return to Mike's world.

If you like Fringe, Sliders, or Joss Whedon, you may also like The Fold by Peter Clines. I plan on looking into more of this author's work.


I read this book from August 8 - 17, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early