Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Weekend Update

Happy Sunday, everyone!  I just thought I'd post a general update since I haven't done one in quite a while.

In book related news, I bought another book yesterday that I've been wanting to read for some time now.  I picked up Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire #1) by Mark Lawrence at my local bookstore.


My hometown was having their downtown First Friday celebration yesterday and I was actually able to go see what was going on for a change!  By some stroke of luck, I actually had the evening off on a Friday!  There was a lot going on downtown for the celebration - a lot more than the last time I was able to go to one - there was a huge car show, a class reunion, live music, the college art gallery was open, food and variety of other vendors, plus all of the shops to check out downtown.

One of those shops is one of the best indie bookstores out there.  The owner and her staff are always so friendly, they have a broad selection from big name bestsellers to local authors, a great YA and Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, and they have great interesting events.  Did I mention just how nice everyone is?  Anyway, I go in regularly to see what's going on and what they've got in.  Usually, if the owner's in I'll talk to her if I get the chance - she's always interested in what I pick out, or what I'm currently reading.  Yesterday, though, they were packed and she was busy making the rounds through the store checking on the customers.

When she got over to me, she said that unless I needed any help with anything she'd just leave me alone since I usually know what I'm looking for and what I'm doing.  I'm glad I gave her the impression that I know what I'm doing!  When I made my selection and went to check out she came over to see what I picked - when she saw that I had Lawrence's book, she said that I could return it if I didn't like it.  Obviously, I was a bit surprised by that comment.  She went on saying that she knew going in that Jorg, the main character, was going to be an anti-hero, but by chapter two she realized he's not just an anti-hero, he's a straight up psycho.  Like, makes Joffrey Baratheon look like a nice kid kind of psycho.  I thanked her and let her know that I kind of already got that impression from what I've heard about the book, but I told her I may just take her up on that offer if it's too crazy!  Like I've said before, I love visiting that bookstore when I get the chance!

Another little story from last night's First Friday, I also like going into the gallery in a downtown college art building - they always have free snacks and punch plus an exhibition open to the public during First Friday.  This time they actually had the same exhibit as last month (it had just opened last time and it's just about over now) and it's dedicated to Mary Gaynier's The Art of Cut Paper.  You know how at Christmas time you see a lot of paper snow flakes - that kind of cut paper.  Except she doesn't do snow flakes - there's a lot of aliens, dinosaurs, and monsters in her huge cut outs.  It's one of the strangest exhibits I've seen there, but it's also one of the most intricate, detailed, and whimsical.  There were a lot of good ones that I enjoyed, but my favorite by far is called "Finger Lickin' Revenge" - it features aliens, giant chickens, and KFC and Colonel Sanders.  And, I actually managed to find a picture of it online!  Feast your eyes:


The 2012 article that this picture is included in is also worth reading if you're interested her art.

On to another subject altogether.  Saturday is one of my favorite tv nights (at least during the summer) because Svengoolie is on Me-TV beginning at 10pm eastern time!  Svengoolie is a horror movie host - he tends to play classic Universal sci-fi and/or horror movies from the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s while offering hilarious commentary and facts about it and the cast.


Tonight, he'll be showing The Raven (1935) which stars both Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi!


Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to his presentation of the movie!  I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this one before, so it should be interesting.  Me-TV invites viewers to live-tweet along with the show using the #svengoolie hashtag and let's just say sometimes things get downright hilarious!  It's always a lot of fun and a good way to chat with other fans of classic movies and Svengoolie's brand of humor.  I definitely plan on doing that tonight.  Unfortunately, I'll miss the first half hour tonight because I'l be closing at work, but I'll be watching and tweeting along with the final hour and a half.  It sounds like it should be a good movie!  Maybe you'll join us for the fun!


Finally, I just wanted to say that my first blogoversary is coming up on Wednesday, August 12th!  I can't believe I've been doing this for nearly a year already!  Keep your eyes open a giveaway or two!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Comments

  1. I picked up Prince of Thorns a few months ago and have been meaning to get to it for some time. I absolutely love the cover. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover looks great! Thanks very much and I hope you like it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early