Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Cold Summer by Gwen Cole + 50/50 Friday

 



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook.  Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.  As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.   Then, for  50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads (and one of my most anticipated reads of the year), Cold Summer by Gwen Cole!  I can't resist a good time travel story, and I like the sound of present day and WWII as the primary settings.  Plus, look at that gorgeous cover!  Let's go!


Beginning:

For me, seasons don't exist.

Only I know what it feels like when summer turns to winter in an instant.  When one minute I'm in my bed and the next I'm up staring at snow-covered trees, wondering what year I'm in.

56:

I try to keep my hands from shaking.  They're fine right now.  They usually are when my mind is on the present - wherever I happen to be.

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Book Trope


Favorite - The Chosen One, I'll admit that sometimes this can get old, but when this is done well or differently it can be my favorite.



Least Favorite - Instalove, you might be able to guess that if you've spent any time on my blog!

Thanks as always for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!  Happy Friday!

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of this book. I do like time travel books, too, so I may look around for this one. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely going to have to keep your eye out for it, Anne.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a good read--may put it on my wish list because of the time settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying it so far! :)

      Thanks for visiting, Catherine.

      Delete
  3. I am not a big fan of time travel. I hope you enjoy the book. This week I have an urban fantasy - Midnight Curse by Melissa F. Olson. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like some time travel and this does sound good to me. Happy reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it turns out as good as I think it will. :)

      Thanks for sharing, Sherry!

      Delete
  5. I don't usually read time travel books, but have read one or two that I really enjoyed. I'm curious about this one. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem fascinating! Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  6. Interesting book, time travel can be tricky to pull off in books, for me at least.
    My Friday Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks for Favorite/ Least Favorite Book Tropes! I also cannot stand instalove. That and love triangles are definitely my least favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - I was so close to sticking with both! :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a book I should check out! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot of good things about Cold Summer. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently picked up Cold Summer (for my bookshelf) and am hoping to read it soonish. Even though I don't read a ton of time travel, I enjoy it in films/TV shows (one of my favorites is Timeless), so this one definitely intrigues me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timeless! I'm so glad it ended up getting un-cancelled! :D

      Happy reading, Rissi!

      Delete
  12. Time travel is fun! This looks like a good one :) Have a great weekend!
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen this one around, but I had no idea it was about time travel. I'm seeing it completely differently now as I always assumed it was contemporary. I really like the beginning sentences for this one. Happy weekend, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way it kind of works as a bit of both to a great degree. Thanks, Alicia!

      Delete
  14. Hi Lauren,

    At first glance, the title and lovely cover of this one, might lead you to believe the story was something completely different, but after reading the full Goodreads synopsis, I can see the clever play between the two and it really works for me.

    Probably not a book for my own list, although I have read a couple of time travel books in the past and quite enjoyed them.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see why that is. Thanks very much for visiting, Yvonne!

      Delete
  15. Lovely cover. I recently read some time travel books. It's not my normal genre but they were very good. Now I wonder what I've missed out on:)

    My Friday 56 from A School For Unusual Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'd say you're definitely missing out! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Laura!

      Delete
  16. This sounds very good! And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh I hate insta-love as well. It's just so unrealistic! I have to admit though, even though the Chosen One trope has been done over and over, I never seem to like books that don't have some variation of it. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early