Skip to main content

Fall Bookish Bingo 2018 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews


Welcome to my wrap up for Fall Bookish Bingo hosted by Bekka @ Pretty Deadly Reviews!  I managed to make four bingos (and nearly complete my board, and completed 20 of 25 bingo squares since it started back in September.  I'd say I did a pretty good job this season!  Read on for my mini reviews of the books I've completed since my last update on this challenge:


❋ ❋  ❋ 

I read this novel for Sci-Fi Month - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  ❋ 

I also read this for Sci-Fi Month and Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  ❋ 

I also read this novel for Sci-Fi Month and the #BeatTheBacklist challenge - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  

I also read this novel for Sci-Fi Month - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  

I read this novel for the FraterFest Read-A-Thon - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  

I also read this book for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge - you can read my review here.


❋ ❋  ❋ 

Crown of Midnight was an absolutely brilliant sequel. It doesn't suffer from second book syndrome at all and I have to say I'm quite impressed. I don't know why I've put off continuing this series for so long. To be honest, this was so good I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be my favorite of the entire series. It's hard to imagine how things could get better. Either way, I'm quite looking forward on to Heir of Fire. I need to know what comes next for all of these marvelous characters.

I read this novel as a part of the #BeatTheBacklist challenge -  my review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋  

It wasn't until I began reading Traitor to the Throne that I remembered just how much I enjoyed the first book in the series, Rebel of the Sands. I didn't quite like this as much as the first installment (maybe that's because it's been so long for me and it took me a bit to get back into the swing of things), but it's still great to be back with Amani and her world. I did miss that this one isn't quite so much of a western, but Alwyn Hamilton still handles the political intrigue that we get instead very well. Amani is one of my favorite characters and it was brilliant to see her grow and change from when we first met her. Now, I need to get my hands on the grand finale, Hero at the Fall.

I also read this for the #BeatTheBacklist Challenge and my review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and I enjoyed diving into a new book in the genre by Destiny Soria. Iron Cast starts off very slowly, but I really got into the swing of the story I grew to love the diverse cast of characters and the 1919 setting. Plus, the magic system behind the hemopathy is quite intriguing. Although this is a standalone story I wouldn't say no to more from this world.

I read this book from November 22 - 29, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle by Janet Fox is a decent gothic middle grade novel set primarily during WWII. A lot happens during the amount of time that we get to spend with the characters, maybe a bit too much to the point where events are a bit difficult to keep straight. That being said the novel is also overly long. It was also a bit scarier than I expected it to be. Not a bad story in the least but definitely underwhelming.

I read this from September 30 - October 4, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋  ❋ 

I have a massive soft spot for the Shadowhunter Chronicles and I'm so glad I finally got around to this! It fills in the gaps between The Mortal Instruments series and The Dark Artifices by catching us up on what's been going on with Simon and other favorites along with great new additions. My favorite stories are "The Whitechapel Fiend", "Pale Kings and Princes", "Bitter of Tongue", "Born to Endless Night", and "Angels Twice Descending".

I read this from October 25 - November 9, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋  

While I didn't quite enjoy The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness, & Obsession quite as much as The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, this collection of investigative journalism essays is still engrossing.  You can be certain, though, that David Grann is marvelous at piecing together the stories behind the mysteries. Anyway if you haven't read David Grann yet, I highly recommend his work and this collection of stories is as good as place as any to start.

I read this book on October 25, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  If so, what did you think of them.  I plan on coming back for the Winter 2018-19 Bookish Bingo so keep your eyes open for my potential tbr for that challenge.  As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads