Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Mystery/ Horror/ Thriller - March 2023 Round Announcement & TBR


Hello everyone!  Today I'm sharing my plans for the March 2023 round of the Trope-ical Readathon which is hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  It will run the entire month of March and I'm joining Team  Mystery/ Horror/ Thriller this time around.


Like previous rounds, there are fifteen total challenges to complete - two team challenges and thirteen common challenges (you either read a book that fits the given trope or one that fits the alternate prompt).  Each team also has two choices for your Team Book read as well.  For each challenge you complete, team book you read, and each page you read, you earn points for your team  You can also follow the official Trope-ical Readathon on Twitter and with the hashtag #TropeicalReadathon.  Without further ado, let's get to my tbr: 

Team Book:

My choice: She Is A Haunting by Trang Thanh Tran - This sounds like it's going to be a heck of a haunted house story.  Plus, it's been recommended for fans of Mexican Gothic as well.

 Team Challenges:

1. Read a book featuring the "cosmic horror" trope.

My choice: Wrath of N'Kai (Arkham Horror #10) by Joshua Reynolds - I've really enjoyed the books I've read in this series and this sounds really cool.

2. Read a book featuring the "cold case" trope.

My choice: The It Girl by Ruth Ware - This author is one of my must reads and I don't know why I've put this off.  I'll also be reading this for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge.

Common Challenges:

1. Absent/ Dead Parent(s) or A Book With More Than One Author.

My choice: Soaring to Glory: A Tuskegee Airman's Firsthand Account of World War II by Philip Handleman and Harry T. Stewart - A friend of mine gave me this memoir and it sounds like a must read.  Fits the alternate prompt.

2. Love Triangle or Followers/ Friends Choose Between Two Books.

My choice: Leech by Hiron Ennes - I'm really looking forward to this horror novel and I'm so glad this won the vote!

3. Boarding School or A Group/ Buddy Read.

My choice: Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan - I can't wait to try this stand alone.  Fits the given trope.

4. Dark Academia or A Borrowed Book.

My choice: Hell Bent (Alex Stern #2) by Leigh Bardugo - This is easily one of my most anticipated reads.  I'm also reading it for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge.  Fits the given trope.

5. Holiday or Takes Place In Another Country.

My choice; Long Live the Pumpkin Queen: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas by Shea Ernshaw - This sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it!  Fits the given trope.

6. Blast From The Past or A Book Published Before 2000.

My choice: Death of an Ad Man by Alfred Eichler - I found this 1954 published novel at an antique shop not too long ago and it sounds like it will be a good one.  Fits the alternate prompt.

7. Mixed Media or An Audiobook Or An Ebook.

My choice: The Hunted (The Living #2) by Matt de la Pena - I didn't quite expect the first book in the series to go where it went and I kind of need to know how this duology ends.  Fits the alternate prompt - I'll be listening to the audiobook.

8. Apocalyptic/ Dystopia or A Book With Over 500 Pages.

My choice: Omega Days (Omega Days #1) by John L. Campbell - I just happened to find this zombie book at Goodwill recently.  It sounds pretty intense.  Fits the given trope.

9. Found Family or A Book In A Series.

My choice: Courageous (The Lost Fleet #3) by Jack Campbell - I've really liked what I've read of this series so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

10. Coming-Of-Age or An Indie or Self-Published Book.

My choice: Catching Stars by Cayla Keenan - I found this at a antique shop not too long.  I'd never heard of it before, but it sounded tempting enough to take home with me.  Fits the alternate prompt.

11. Multiple POV or Multiple POC Characters. 

My choice: Echoes of Sherlock Holmes: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger - This sounds like a really cool Holmesian short story collection.  Fits the given trope.

12. Bookish Themes or Pun In The Title.

My choice: The Library of the Dead (Edinburgh Nights #1) by T.L. Huchu - I don't know about you, but this just sounds really cool.  Fits the given trope.

13. Retelling or A Book With A TV Or Movie Adaptation.

My choice: Blackheart Knights (Blackheart Knights #1) by Laure Eve - I don't know about you, but this sounds like it could possibly one of the coolest Arthurian retellings.  I mean, just look at that cover!  Fits the given trope.


Are you taking part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  What one should I read first?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I forgot about this readathon! Maybe I'll try to join. I just finished The It Girl and I enjoyed it! I thought I knew where it was going and it threw me off right at the end. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the readathon! I've heard The It Girl is very good, and I'd like to read the Alex Stern series one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list! Of all of these, I'm most excited to read She is a Haunting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads