Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #9

 

Happy Friday everyone and welcome to my eighth 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  In September, I read 2 books for a total of 46 books completed out of 50 books. for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I've made some great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read in September:

 ❋ ❋ 

The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett is probably actually closer to a 3.5 than a 4 for me but I rounded up.  Even though this might be my least favorite of this author, I still enjoy having any chance to read his work because his style really jumps off the page.  I love his blend of old-school noir and steampunk.  I need to get caught up on all of Bennett's work.

My review is also on Goodreads.

 ❋ 

The Pure Land by Alan Spence is based on the real life figure of Thomas Blake Glover.  He had an interesting life (given that he's linked to Madama Butterfly and Miss Saigon), but with this novel I'm not sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not.  It felt far too flat when it comes to characterizations.  No one felt like they could walk off the page or were actually inspired by real people.  Certain language things bugged me too, especially "Irasshaimase" when "Okaerinasai" would have been made a lot more sense in context.  Overall, this just didn't work for me as much as I was hoping.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part of in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. So you must speak Japanese? 😁 I'm very curious about The Company Man too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows