Skip to main content

Magical Readathon: Orilium - Autumn Equinox 2023 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Friday everyone!  This August I completed all of my coursework (read 7 books) for my calling of Scribe for the Autumn Equinox 2023 classes at Orilium for the Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast.  I've also followed the Novice Path, completed the Traveller's Key, have Geared Up, completed the Spring Equinox 2022,  completed the August Equinox 2022, visited Old Favour Pass, and I've also been working on the Choose Your Own Adventure: Year In Aeldia challenge this year, and completed the Spring Equinox 2023.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on what I read for this challenge:

Elemental Studies 

O - Element of the Earth - Book with the word "earth" in the title

 ❋ 

Breath of Earth (Blood of Earth #1) by Beth Cato is a solid historical fantasy steampunk series opener. I really enjoyed where she took her version of 1906.  It started off pretty strong, but the more I read the less of a grip the story had over me.  The story wasn't nearly as focused as I would have liked as it started to wrap up.  I'm not sure if I'll be back for the sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Inscription

O - Glyph: Tidy - Book from your end of year tbr


 ❋ 

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley is so far my least favorite novel by this author.  Honestly, that mostly came back to the friends in this story were all so irritating that I didn't care what happened to them.  

My review is also on Goodreads.


Q - Wards & Shields - Shield on the cover or in the title

 ❋ 

Poisoned Blade (Court of Fives #2) by Kate Elliott is a sequel that I definitely preferred to the first book in this trilogy.  That said, it's still a solid three star read.  There's a little too much going on when it should have been more focused.  Also Jessamy could have been better in terms of some of the choices she makes.  I don't know if I'll be back for the grand finale.

My review is also on Goodreads.


D - Advanced Penmanship - Read a book that's not a debut

 ❋ ❋  ❋ 

You know, I liked The Archived but I absolutely loved The Unbound (The Archived #2) by Victoria Schwab Y. Honestly, any day is a good day to get to read a new book from Victoria (V.E.) Schwab!  This duology absolutely needs to be much more well know because it's outstanding.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Restoration

O - Induced Sleep - Start a book before bed

 ❋ ❋  

Now that I've read The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5) by Patrick Rothfuss  that means I'm finally all caught up on this series until the third installment is released.  While I didn't quite like this novella as much as the two full length novels, but honestly it's just good to return to the world of this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Lore

O - Tale of the Guide - Bookseller's recommendation

 ❋ 

Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young is a solid mystery fantasy, but it's still possibly my least favorite from this author.  She's had a lot of great stuff, and this one just didn't quite stack up in comparison.  My favorite aspect of this story was easily just how atmospheric it was.  I do wish it had more of a magical fantasy element.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Q - Cursed Cloaks - Clothing on the cover

 ❋ 

Plague of the Cybermen (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #49) by Justin Richards is a good story featuring one of my favorite iterations of the Doctor.  The first half was pretty great but the second half not as much.  I wish the Doctor in this story wasn't companionless making it probably set in the second half of series seven, but it was cool to see him face off against the Cybermen and get up to his tricks. 

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  Which one should I start with?  As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I read The Unbound years ago but I remember loving it too😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads