Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my current read which is by one of my favorite authors, The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness.  This book was just released on October 6th and I can't describe how excited I am for it.  The concept alone is awesome and I would read it just for that, but add in the author's skill and that awesomeness increases exponentially.  I've just started it and I can't wait to read more.

Book Beginning:

Chapter the first, in which the Messenger of the Immortals arrives in a surprising shape, looking for a permanent Vessel; and after being chased by her through the woods, indie kid Finn meets his final fate.


On the day we're the last people to see indie kid Finn alive, we're all sprawled together in the Field, talking about love and stomachs.

56:

"Henna-"

"Please don't shout."  She winces.  "It makes my stomach hurt."

"I didn't even raise my voice."

"It sounded like you might."

This actually makes me angry.  "When, in my entire life, have I ever shouted at you?"

"Never, I know."  She breathes heavy for a minute.  "My stomach hurts."

Comments

  1. Hmm, I wonder why she thinks there is shouting? I have been curious about this author. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is on my TBR. Thanks for sharing and for visiting our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a Patrick Ness book, I keep meaning to I just don't know where to start.

    My Friday:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chaos Walking series is as good a place as any! :) Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. I have been eyeing this book for a while. I think it'll be added to my TBR.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why, but the title made me smile. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when paired with that cover. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. Not read this author, hope you enjoy it!

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this earlier this year and really liked it! Hope you enjoy it!
    Here's mine; http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/friday-reads-30th-october-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new to me author and book - sounds very different - Thanks for visiting My Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to try this author and I like his writing style in the teasers. It definitely sounds unique. Hope you enjoy the read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Chaos Walking is always a great place to start.

      Delete
  10. This sounds very different indeed...I'll be looking for it on the library's new book shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read anything by Patrick Ness before, but the synopsis for The Rest Of Us Just Live Here sounds unique, which got my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is on my TBR mountain but with a stack of review books looming it will be a while before I get to it. I am spotlighting Young Widows Club by Alexandra Coutts this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love Patrick Ness too, can't wait to pick this one up for myself. Enjoy the weekend, Lauren, and Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. What an opening. I've seen this recently and been wondering about it.
    Thanks for stopping by my post and Happy Halloween:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm curious to know more. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early