Skip to main content

The Edge of Forever by Melissa E. Hurst - Review



❋ ❋ 

In 2013, Alora is blacking out and waking up elsewhere with no idea of how she got there. She does know one thing: someone is following her. In 2146, Bridger is one of a few who can time travel into the past. While on a routine school time trip, he sees one person he never expected to see again, his dead father. Things get stranger when he realizes his father was never assigned to that time. Bridger is stunned to find out that his normally by-the-book father was attempting to change the past by stopping a murder - the murder of a girl in the year 2013, a girl named Alora.

Time travel is usually one of my favorite kinds of sci-fi. I found myself really drawn to the concept of this novel, but I wasn't overly impressed by the execution of The Edge of Forever. Stylistically, I liked the dual perspectives featuring both Bridger and Alora. I particularly enjoyed getting to know each character on their own terms and then seeing them through the other's eyes. I liked the overall plot and the twists. The story kept me dying to know more and kept me turning those pages. As for world-building, I wish we were given more background on Bridger's future, and even more differences between the English language of 2013 and 2146 as side from the of "wilding out" (aka freaking out, etc.). Unfortunately, the pacing is a little choppy at times. It takes it a while to really get going, then after it begins to really get somewhere it slows way down in the middle, and then goes up to breakneck pace the closer we get to the ending. I also had problems connecting with the characters. I liked Bridger well enough, but not so much Alora who could get a tad annoying at times. Overall, I liked this new time travel novel, but it doesn't rank as one of my favorites; however, I would like to see a return to this universe in the future. You can never go wrong with time travel.


I read this novel from October 5 - 6, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early