Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Future Shock (Future Shock #1) by Elizabeth Briggs


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Future Shock (Future Shock #1) by Elizabeth Briggs.  This book was released this April 1st and I listed it as one of most anticipated YA debuts of 2016.  All I needed to know to put this book on my tbr in the first place is that it features time travel!

  
Beginning:

WEDNESDAY

I can already tell this is one of those moments I'll later wish I could forget,  But like everything else, it will stay burned into my memory forever.

56:

"Finding everything okay?" she asks.

"Yeah, I'd like to buy five of the SG17 flexis."

She moves to the front counter and pulls out five tiny boxes.  "That'll be $980."

I pull the wallet Aether Corp provided out of my backpack and count out the money.  There's $1,000 in there, so I have just enough to cover it.  I try to give it to the cashier, but she looks at my hand like I'm offering her a live snake.

"I'm sorry.  We don't take cash here."  She sounds horrified.  She glances at the salesman I talked to earlier, as though looking for help.

He walks over and smiles at me.  "Is there a problem?"

Comments

  1. Oh dear, I haven't even heard of this book. I hate it when I don't know about much anticipated releases. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the cover and your teases only add to my interest. Hope you enjoy it.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen the cover of this book before, but I haven't heard much about it. I really like the 56 and the beginning so I'm definitely going to add this book to my goodreads TBR. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I piqued your interest! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Time travel is why I'd be more likely to avoid this one. I hope you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "don't take cash" thing may be very real one day. And I love David Tennant. Had a strange Capaldi dream the other night. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSBkd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be soon enough I expect - plenty of people I know don't carry cash, which I can't quite wrap my head around.

      You can never go wrong with David Tennant, or the Doctor in general. :)

      Delete
  6. Really, they don't take cash?! Unheard of! LOL That alone intrigues me! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!

      Thanks - I hope you have a great one!

      Delete
  7. That line made me laugh, as it is such an unlikely thing to happen. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked this one up at BEA as it looked cool. Hope you are enjoying it.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing your review of Future Shock! Oh, and the image for the Review Train is on my blog for you to grab whenever. ^-^


    Brittany @ Space Between the Spines

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess this really is the future! I know quite a few people who rarely have cash on them. They all use debit cards. Personally, I don't feel comfortable without a little folding money.
    This sounds like a fascinating story.
    My Friday post features THE LIE THAT TELLS A TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I agree with you - I can't quite wrap my mind around it either.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  11. The wave of the future... This is a new book to me but sounds intriguing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of this book but didn't know a lot about it - this sounds good though...her comment about not taking cash cracked me up! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate carrying cash, so I think I'd be happy if the future involved none. That's a very tempting excerpt. I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to catch your interest! Happy reading and thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  14. Man, those two excerpts were great! I'm excited to see what you think of this one. I can't remember the last time I read a time travel book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geez, I thought everybody was happy to take cash, lol! Sounds like a good book, hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my Friday memes post! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geez, I thought everybody was happy to take cash, lol! Sounds like a good book, hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my Friday memes post! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the teaser and beginning. And I love her tattoo!

    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'd say they look lik what I would have imagined, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early