Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike #3) by Robert Galbraith + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current #BeatTheBacklist reads, Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike #3) by Robert Galbraith.  I've loved getting back into this series for this challenge and I'm glad to be back for this third installment.  I'm glad to be back on the case with Cormoran and Robin!

Beginning:

He had not managed to scrub off all her blood.  A dark line like a parenthesis lay under the middle fingernail of his left hand.  He set to digging it out, although he quite liked seeing it there: a memento of the previous day's pleasures.

56:

By now, he had heard Whittaker talking lucidly about what it would feel like to take a life, as though it were an epicurean treat.  He had not believed, then, that Whittaker meant it, but he had known him capable of violence, and had seem him threaten their fellow squatters.

50/50 Friday: Favorite Book With Most/ Least Ratings 


Most - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling - Based on the number of Goodreads ratings, this is my most popular favorite.


Least - American Agent by Melvin Purvis - This fascinating memoir of Melvin Purvis, the FBI Special Agent who brought John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, and Baby-face Nelson to justice, is criminally underrated.  

Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading this weekend?  As always, thanks very much for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I must read Cuckoo's Calling. It has been on my TBR for so long. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get there, Anne.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read the Cormoran Strike series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to start Galbraith's series for a long time. Is it already up to 4 books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think book four was just released this month actually. :)

      Delete
  4. I've read the Harry Potter series. I keep meaning to read this Galbraith series too and even have at least the first one on TBR mountain. This week I am featuring the latest in a long-running science fiction space opera - Uncompromising Honor by David Weber. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot about that series from Weber - one of these days I'll have to start in on it.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a real page-turner!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to dive back into the Strike books. I have read the first one, which I really liked. I have the second one on my TBR shelf. I really like Cormoran and Robin. I am not familiar with American Agent. It does sound interesting though! I will have to look for it. I love the Harry Potter books. I hope you have a great weekend, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you find a copy of American Agent - good luck! :)

      Delete
  7. I have heard great things about this series, yet still need to give it a try. Those quotes have me really intrigued. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to The Cuckoo's Calling and I didn't really care for it but it could be the format wasn't right. But I haven't and any desire to read any others. I'm glad you are enjoying the series, though. See what book MK is featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the narrator can make or break the audiobook listening experience.

      Thanks for sharing, Donna.

      Delete
  9. I never read the Cuckoo's Calling, but I'm glad you've been enjoying the series. Happy weekend, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! I hope you're having a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  10. Those are great snippets. They really make me curious to try this series. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Career of Evil looks really good. I never read that author, but he sounds like one I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Galbraith is actually J.K. Rowling - which is totally the reason I wanted to give them a try. :)

      Delete
  12. Never having been a fan of anything 'Harry Potter', I guess I have been a little reluctant to dive into any of the Robert Galbraith books, despite the great ratings and reviews the 'Cormoran Strike' series has clocked up so far!

    The opening extract sounds excellent, although that blood residue will nail him if it isn't got rid of completely and quickly!

    Thanks for sharing and for sticking this series right under my nose, so that I can ignore it no longer :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so entirely different and comepletely addicting. :)

      Thanks for coming over, Yvonne. :)

      Delete
  13. I'm late to the party, but I love the "Robert Galbraith" mysteries. I read the J.K. has plans for a total of 10 in the series and I hope she keeps her plans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah no surprise that HP is a very highly rated novel. Everyone loves it.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes HP!! I've been thinking of doing a little pet study to see what people's 'generational' book was (the book that everyone in their age group has read). HP is definitely one, then likely Twilight, then Hunger Games, etc. We shall see how soon that happens :) Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows